Take Me To
Why should I earn a rehabilitation health sciences degree?
A People-Centered, Sought-After Job with a High Salary
The median annual wage for physical therapists was $86,850 in May 2017, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics.
The median annual wage for occupational therapists was $83,200 in May 2017, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics.
Employment of athletic trainers is projected to grow 23 percent from 2016 to 2026, much faster than the average for all occupations.
What Can I Do With a Rehabilitation Health Sciences Degree
- Physical therapist
- Occupational therapist
- Professional sports team employee
- Athletic trainer
Why study rehabilitation health sciences at BVU?
Housed in the state-of-the-art Estelle Siebens Science Center, boasting high-tech labs.
A biology internship and rehab health sciences capstone provide hands-on experience.
Prepare for professional and graduate school in this pre-professional program.
Kinesiology students have access to state-of-the-art facilities and equipment including the new Human Performance Laboratory, which includes a Metabolic Cart to measure oxygen uptake.
The department also utilizes the Fritcher Fitness Center, a 6,000-square-foot facility that houses weight and cardio training equipment.
Join a Welcoming Community.
Share Remarkable Experiences.
Allyson has been active in the Buena Vista Athletic Trainers Society, KORE/HiPSO, track, and athletic training. She has also assisted with BVU football, men’s and women’s soccer, women’s basketball, and wrestling. During her junior year, Allyson began her athletic training rotation at Sports Rehab, observing staff physical therapists (PTs) as they attended their patients. There, she accepted an invitation to work over Christmas break, and again during the following summer as a PT technician and pool attendant. After graduation, Allyson plans to enter Des Moines University’s Doctor of Physical Therapy program.
Rehabilitation Health Sciences Courses
- Major in Rehabilitation Health Sciences (58 Credit Hours)
Core Course Requirements (44 credit hours)
- BIOL 163 Biological Principles I
- BIOL 164 Biological Principles II
- BIOL 380 Human Physiology
- BIOL 430 Human Anatomy
- BIOL 495 Biology Internship
- CHEM 151 General Chemistry I
- CHEM 152 General Chemistry II
- EXSC 255 Medical Terminology
- EXSC 350 Biomechanics of Human Motion
- EXSC 352 Exercise Physiology with Lab
- EXSC 497 Rehabilitation Health Sciences Capstone
- PHYS 201 General Physics I: Trigonometry-Based or PHYS 211 General Physics I: Calculus-Based
- PHYS 202 General Physics II: Trigonometry-Based or PHYS 212 General Physics II: Calculus-Based
Supporting course requirements (complete at least 6 credit hours)
- MATH 140 Elementary Applied Statistics
- PSYC 100 General Psychology
- PSYC 210 Developmental Psychology
- PSYC 239 Abnormal Psychology
- PSYC 295 Experimental Design and Statistical Analysis I
Elective courses (complete at least 8 credit hours)
- BIOL 208 Biomedical Research Experience
- EXSC 273 Therapeutic Exercise and Reconditioning
- EXSC 280 Lifetime Health Management with Lab
- EXSC 310 Nutrition
- EXSC 351 Motor Learning
- EXSC 432 Measurement and Evaluation in Kinesiology
- EXSC 446 Pharmacology
- EXSC 460 Physiological Principles of Conditioning
- EXSC 472 General Medical Conditions
Financial Aid & Scholarships
We’ll help you figure out your options for financial assistance and possible scholarships.Learn More
Rehabilitation Health Sciences Faculty
Our instructors are committed to helping you build the future of Iowa and beyond.See Our Faculty
Transfer Your Credits
Do you have previously earned credits or an associate degree? BVU accepts most — if not all — of your credits so you don’t have to retake courses.Request More Info
Earn a Master’s Degree Faster with Our Accelerated Program
With BVU's Plus One program, you can earn your education, special education, or organizational leadership master's within one year of graduating with your bachelor’s degree.
Kinesiology and Exercise Science
BVU’s kinesiology and exercise science bachelor’s degree provides students with a comprehensive and proactive academic and clinical education so that they can seek careers in a wide variety of health-related professions.
Exercise Science - Physical Education and Coaching
Students majoring in physical education and coaching learn in a variety of contexts including micro teaching within classrooms in area school districts,...