Join us for free online information sessions to learn more about Professional School Counseling. Our curriculum is built to empower you in your individual professional passions and goals. Learn more and register
Take Me To
What Can I Do with a Master’s Degree in Professional School Counseling?
Graduates of the professional school counseling master’s degree program appreciate the program’s focus on application, allowing them to “hit the ground running” upon completion of their 48 credit hours. Blended course delivery combines the convenience of online study, as well as the real-time interaction that connects students to mentors, colleagues, and resources to ensure growth and success within the field.
The school counseling master’s program is supported and accredited by the North Central Association for colleges and the Iowa Department of Education. Curriculum is designed to meet the educational requirements for Iowa school counselor licensure and follows the ASCA model seen in school districts.
Why Study Professional School Counseling at BVU?
Learn Online and In Person
This two-year professional school counseling program is designed to be taken alongside your current career. You will spend 1 week at the beginning of each year learning at our Storm Lake campus. Then, you will complete coursework online and participate in a virtual meeting once each week in the evenings.
Apply for our Summer 2021 cohort. Classes start July 5, with a summer residency July 31-Aug. 6! The registration deadline is March 15.
Face-to-Face Experience and Skill Building
As part of our professional school counseling and clinical mental health counseling programs, students take part in a week-long residency at our beautiful campus on the shores of Storm Lake in Iowa. This week of learning is one of the highlights of the program, where you get to know others in your cohort and gain experience working on your skills with your classmates.
Join a Welcoming Community.
Share Remarkable Experiences.
"Meeting one evening each week via Zoom makes the program very doable even while working and having a family. I also really like the 7-day residency because we get to know others in our cohort and gain experience working on our skills with our classmates."
Courses & Application Requirements
- Courses (48 credit hours)
Professional School Counseling Year One
BVU's Professional School Counseling courses begin each July (Term 6)
- GMHC 519 Professional and Ethical Orientation to Counseling
- GEDU 527 Assessment and Appraisal Techniques in Counseling
- GEDU 528 Research Methods in Counseling
- GMHC 530 Theories of Counseling
- GMHC 540 Psychopathy and Psychological Disorders
- GEDU 546 Methods and Procedures in Counseling
- GEDU 549 Career Development and Assessment
Professional School Counseling Year Two
- GEDU 529 Human Development and Learning Through the Lifespan
- GMHC 535 Program Evaluation and Consultation in Counseling
- GMHC 544 Social and Cultural Foundations of Counseling
- GEDU 548 Group Counseling
- GEDU 550 Supervised Practicum in Professional School Counseling
- GEDU 551 Supervised Practicum II in School Counseling
- GEDU 552 Counseling Children and Adolescents
- GEDU 553 Internship I in Professional School Counseling
- GEDU 554 Internship II in Secondary or GEDU 556 Internship II in Elementary School Counseling
- GEDU 555 Capstone Professional Portfolio in School Counseling
- GEDU 557 Internship III in Secondary or GEDU 558 Internship II in Elementary School Counseling
- GMHC 570 Advanced Counseling Practices and Crisis Interventions
- Application Requirements
- Official transcripts
- Two (2) letters of recommendation
- BVU Analytical Writing Assessment
- Autobiographical Questions
- Describe significant personal experiences that influenced you to pursue the counseling profession.
- Describe significant professional experiences that influenced you to pursue the counseling profession.
- Discuss how you would make a contribution as a professional school counselor to the counseling profession both within a local school district and the profession at large.
After we receive all of your application materials, you will be invited to an informal zoom meeting with the program director, after the March 15th priority application date.
We’ll help you figure out your options for receiving financial assistance.Learn More
Our instructors are committed to helping you build the future in Iowa and beyond.See Our Faculty
No GRE Required
BVU does not require students to take the GRE for admission — saving you time and money.
Master of Science in Education – Clinical Mental Health Counseling
The heart of our program is the deep connections and valuable training that students experience during a summer course at BVU and a weekly live video class.
Master of Education – Special Education
This online master’s in special education program is intended to advance the skills of practicing professionals.
Master of Education – Teacher Leadership Curriculum Instruction
The online Master of Education – Teacher Leadership, Curriculum, and Instruction program provides four tracks designed for working teachers seeking to advance their career in the classroom.