Take Me To
Why should I earn a human services degree?
With interdisciplinary coursework and the chance to customize with electives, you can build a major that will prepare you for many roles in the human services field.
Prep for Grad School
The human services major builds a strong foundation for a master’s degree in mental health counseling or professional school counseling.
Choose a major that prepares you to support people in need — from addiction counseling to rural community organizing to psychological services.
What I Can Do With a Human Services Degree
- Medical and health services manager
- Long-term care facilitator
- Manager at public health departments, governmental agencies, and medical group practices
Online & Hybrid
Learn Completely Online
Earn your bachelor’s in human services at your convenience with our easy-to-access, fully online curriculum. With one click, you can view assignments and grades, set up appointments with specialized tutors around the clock, access the student lounge, engage in group discussions, or contact professors. Get the BVU experience on your schedule, wherever you are.
You can earn your Psychology and Social Science degree without leaving your community. Hybrid courses combine the benefit of live video instruction with the convenience of online learning. In addition to a weekly class, hybrid students complete their coursework online and receive personalized advisement from local BVU site staff.
Human Services Courses
Human Services Recommended Prerequisites
- PSYC 100 General Psychology
- SOCI 111 Social Psychology
- PSYC 239 Abnormal Psychology
Human Services Major Requirements
- COMM 370 Leadership Communication
- HMSV 301 Human Services in Rural Communities
- HMSV 336 Ethics in Human Services
- HMSV 350 Human Services Programs and Policies
- HMSV 380 Research Methods
- PSYC 389 Introduction to Counseling
Choose 2 courses (6 credit hours) from:
- PSYC 270 Psychology of Personality
- PSYC 329 Psychology of Gender
- PSYC 333 Adolescent Psychology
- PSYC 429 Stereotypes and Prejudice
Choose 4 courses (12 Credit Hours) from:
- HMSV 351 Aging in American Society
- HMSV 352 Child and Family Welfare
- HMSV 353 Social Interventions with Families
- HMSV 370 Adoption Services and Counseling Strategies
- HMSV 371 Alcohol, Tobacco, Other Drugs and Other Addictions
- HMSV 372 Chemical Dependency Issues
- HMSV 373 Family Violence
- HMSV 374 Group Counseling
- HMSV 375 Mental Health Issues
- HMSV 376 Social Stratification
- HMSV 377 Stress Management Strategies
- HMSV 410 Death and Dying
- HMSV 450 Selected Topics in Human Services
- HMSV 495 Internship
Choose 2 courses (6 credit hours) from:
- HMSV/PSYC Upper-Level Electives
- SOCI 302 Deviant Behavior
- SOCI 355 Gender, Sexuality, Race, and Class: Intersectionality
Transfer to BVU
BVU has transfer agreements with Iowa’s community colleges, helping you get the most out of your hard-earned credits.
Contact an academic advisor at 712.749.1000 to see how your credits will transfer.
Financial Aid & Scholarships
We’ll help you figure out your options for financial assistance and possible scholarships.Learn More
Human Services Faculty
Our instructors are committed to helping you build the future of Iowa and beyond.See Our Faculty
Transfer Your Credits
Do you have previously earned credits or an associate degree? BVU accepts most — if not all — of your credits so you don’t have to retake courses.View Course Equivalencies
Earn a Master’s Degree Faster with Our Accelerated Program
With BVU's Plus One program, you can earn your special education, teaching English as a second language, or organizational leadership master's within one year of graduating with your bachelor’s degree.
Health Services Leadership
The health services leadership major combines a knowledge base in management, psychology, social work, and sociology so that students gain a broad understanding of the factors that affect everyday operations of care givers.