Art Therapy Degree
Liberal Arts Bachelor’s Degree Programs
The pre-professional art therapy major prepares students to apply to graduate programs in art therapy. Art therapists can find employment in a variety of areas including senior centers, hospitals, mental health centers, special education programs, veteran services, and penal institutions. The art therapy major combines coursework in art, psychology, and social work.
Take Me To
Why should I earn an art therapy degree?
Teach art skills while helping adults and children improve their mental health and grow as individuals.
Become an expert in both art instruction and mental health.
High Earning Potential
According to a 2009 survey conducted by the American Medical Association, experienced art therapists may earn salaries between $80,000 to $100,000.
What Can I Do With an Art Therapy Degree
- Art therapist
- Case worker
- Group home supervisor
- Community arts educator/administrator
Explore the Center for Sculpture and Ceramics
- On Campus
Why study art therapy at BVU?
Creative Spaces Abound
As an art therapy major, get ready to call the art studios your home away from home. The dedicated studios are large, contemporary, and versatile. Here is a taste of what you’ll get to experience:
Metal Shop – MIG, TIG, ARC, and oxy-acetylene welders; plasma cutter, dry cut saws, band saws, and sand blasting.
Woodshop – Band saw, table saw, panel saw, radial arm saw, sliding compound miter saw, lathe, laser drill press, sanding station, and many hand tools.
Ceramics – Mixing clay, formulating and applying glazes, kiln firing, electric and kick wheels, plus extruders and slab rollers.
Painting – A flexible space with many easels and taborets along with custom pigment mixing for oil, acrylic, and encaustic paints.
Printmaking – Four high-end intaglio and lithograph presses, including lithography stones.
Mac Lab – Mac computers with large monitors, loaded with the most recent version of Adobe CS, several digital scanners, color laser printers, large format printers, and an archival printer.
Gallery Spaces – Two different gallery spaces with customizable lighting and digital projection capabilities.
BVU seeks to unite students with artists, innovators, and creators to mentor and inspire Beavers while showcasing their own talents and work. Artist-in-Residence Program
Art Therapy Courses
- Major in Pre-Professional Art Therapy (63 Credit Hours)
Art and Design Core (24 credit hours)
- ARTD 180 Art Foundations: Drawing
- ARTD 185 Art Foundations: 3D Design
- ARTD 190 Art Foundations: Digital Design
- ARTD 195 Portfolio Review
- ARTD 240 Visual Literacy and Criticism
- ARTD 250 Life Drawing
- ARTD 280 Business of Art
- ARTD 304 Critical Issues in Modern and Contemporary Art
- ARTD 492 Art and Design Capstone
- ARTD 493 Art and Design Practicum
Art and Design Studio: 12 credits
- ARTD 310 Painting
- ARTD 320 Sculpture
- ARTD 330 Ceramics
- ARTD 340 Introduction to Printmaking or ARTD 342 Experimental Printmaking
Art and Design Art Therapy: 3 credits
- ARTD 380 Applications of Art Therapy
Psychology and Social Work (24 credit hours)
- PSYC 100 General Psychology
- PSYC 111 Social Psychology
- PSYC 220 Behavior Modification or PSYC 389 Counseling
- PSYC 239 Abnormal Psychology
- Choice of 300 level PSYC course (or one additional 300 level course if PSYC 389 was chosen above)
- SCWK 200 Introduction to Social Work and Social Welfare
- SCWK 235 Human Behavior and the Social Environment I
- SCWK 380 Methods of Social Research I
Recommended General Education courses
- BIOL 120 Introduction to Cellular and Human Physiology
- SCWK/SOCI 355 Gender, Sexuality, Race, and Class: Intersectionality
Financial Aid & Scholarships
We’ll help you figure out your options for financial assistance and possible scholarships.Learn More
Art Therapy Faculty
Our instructors are committed to helping you build the future in Iowa and beyond.See Our Faculty
Transfer Your Credits
Do you have previously earned credits or an associate degree? BVU accepts most—if not all—of your credits so you don’t have to retake courses.View Course Equivalencies