Student Learning Outcomes
All Council on Social Work Education accredited programs measure and report student learning outcomes. BVU's social work program data is available for review. View the assessment data
Take Me To
Why should I earn a social work degree?
Be In Demand
Demand for social workers is high with employment projected to grow 16 percent from 2016 to 2026, faster than the average for all occupations, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics.
Specialize in helping people through direct interaction and finding resources. Social workers also bring about change through developing policy, administering programs, and researching social issues.
A bachelor’s degree in social work is a great foundation for further master’s or doctoral work in the field.
What I Can Do With a Social Work Degree
- Child welfare services
- Mental health and substance abuse services
- Working with people with disabilities
- Criminal justice system
Why earn a social work degree at BVU?
- You’ll complete an internship with a social service agency your freshman or sophomore year. Through this three-week experience, you’ll likely learn what branch of social work you want to pursue upon graduation.
- On top of that, you’ll take part in a full-time internship in your senior year which prepares you for graduate school or the workforce.
Make An Impact
Students not only make a difference through service-based learning trips during A Week of Offsite Learning (AWOL) each year, but they also make a difference in their own community. Members of the Student Association of Social Work opened Jane’s Closet, a resource for foster parents and children, on campus.
Internships and Jobs of Social Work Majors
- Cherokee Mental Health Institute
- Buena Vista Juvenile Probation
- Children’s Square USA
- AIDS Project of Central Iowa
- Lutheran Services in Iowa
Join a Welcoming Community.
Share Remarkable Experiences.
Studying social work at BVU allowed Susan the opportunity to make a direct impact on the lives of people. As president of the Student Association of Social Workers, Susan helped distribute shoes and cold weather gear to needy families and has traveled to places like St. Louis to volunteer in the community. She also honed her skills as an intern at the National Association of Social Work.
Social Work Courses
- Major in Social Work (69 Credit Hours)
Required support work
- ECON 205 Principles of Microeconomics or ECON 206 Principles of Macroeconomics
- PSCN 110 Introduction to American Government
- PSYC 100 General Psychology
- SCWK 100 Modern Social Problems or SOCI 101 Introduction to Sociology
3 courses from
- BIOL 104 Cancer and Aging
- BIOL 106 The Brain
- BIOL 107 Human Genetics
- BIOL 108 Human Reproduction and Development
- BIOL 110 Infectious Diseases or BIOL 120 Introduction to Cellular and Human Physiology
- SCWK 200 Introduction to Social Work and Social Welfare
- SCWK 211 Field Observation
- SCWK 235 Human Behavior and the Social Environment I
- SCWK 255 Human Behavior and the Social Environment II
- SCWK 350 Social Welfare Programs and Policies
- SCWK 351 Group Work with Older Adults
- SCWK 352 Child and Family Welfare
- SCWK 355 Gender, Sexuality, Race, and Class: Intersectionality
- SCWK 380 Methods of Social Research I
- SCWK 381 Methods of Social Research II
- SCWK 390 Social Work Practice I
- SCWK 402 Practicum Readiness
- SCWK 410 Social Work Practice II
- SCWK 440 Field Practicum
- SCWK 441 Field Practicum
- SCWK 442 Field Practicum
- SCWK 443 Senior Seminar
- PSYC 239 Abnormal Psychology
- PSYC 389 Introduction to Counseling
- PSYC 300 Experimental Design and Statistical Analysis I or MATH 140 Applied Statistics
Financial Aid & Scholarships
We’ll help you figure out your options for financial assistance and possible scholarships.Learn More
Social Work Faculty
Our instructors are committed to helping you build the future of Iowa and beyond.See Our Faculty
Transfer Your Credits
Do you have previously earned credits or an associate degree? BVU accepts most — if not all — of your credits so you don’t have to retake courses.View Course Equivalencies
Earn a Master’s Degree Faster with Our Accelerated Program
With BVU's Plus One program, you can earn your teaching English as a second language or organizational leadership master's within one year of graduating with your bachelor’s degree.