BVU is a leader in education with alumni working in schools in every single county across the state of Iowa.
Master of Arts in Teaching
Earn initial certification in a secondary content area (5-12)
BVU’s Master of Arts in Teaching in Secondary Education program is an affordable and convenient pathway to teaching. This program provides an opportunity for career changers to transition into the field of education as a middle school or high school teacher. Graduates of this program earn initial certification in grades 5-12 content areas alongside their master’s degree.
In addition, we believe that earning your degree should be affordable — which is why our program is priced at $495 per credit hour, making it the most affordable in the Midwest.
The Master of Arts in Teaching program is intended for those candidates who have completed an undergraduate degree, completed 30 credit hours in a secondary content area (business, social sciences, foreign language- French & Spanish, English language arts, mathematics, physical education, and sciences) and are seeking a pre-service teaching program, leading to initial licensure in a secondary content area (5-12).
- Our next start date is August 28, 2023 (Term 1)
No GRE required. Save time and money.
Earn your master's degree while working full-time
35+ credit hours | Cost/credit: $495 | Completed in two years
Graduates will earn a master's degree with an initial teaching
licensure in a 5-12 content area.
Created for working professionals
- 100% online program
- Eight-week terms
- One virtual night class per week
Eight Content Areas:
- History/ Social Studies
- Foreign Language (French & Spanish)
- Physical Education (K-12 elective courses)
- Spanish (K-12 elective courses)
If you already have your teaching licensure and are looking to further your education, check out our Master of Education – Teacher Leadership, Curriculum, and Instruction program.click here
Program Tracks, Courses, and Application Requirements
Earn Certification for secondary teaching in eight different content areas alongside your master's degree.
- Secondary Education Courses
(20 credit hours)
MAT students are required to complete all coursework with a minimum grade of "C" or higher.
- ESSI 501 Characteristics of Exceptional Learners
- EDCO 591 Human Relations Field Experience
- EDCO 610 Standards, Assessment, and Instruction for Engaged Learners
- ESSI 603 Curriculum Development and Differentiated Instruction
- GEDU 518 Assessment and Evaluation of Classroom Learning
(15 credit hours)
The MAT requires completion of two components:
- Completion of Methods Course related to their content area
- Completion of Student Teaching courses related to their content area.
- SEDU 602 Methods of Teaching Secondary Business and Field Experience
- SEDU 611 Methods of Teaching Secondary English/Language Arts and Field Experience
- SEDU 613 Methods of Teaching K-12 Foreign Language and Field Experience
- SEDU 621 Methods of Teaching Secondary Mathematics and Field Experience
- SEDU 631 Methods of Teaching Secondary Physical Education and Field Experience
- SEDU 632 Methods of Teaching Secondary Science and Field Experience
- SEDU 641 Methods of Teaching Secondary Social Science and Field Experience
- TEAC 610 Student Teaching in Secondary Social Sciences (5-8)
- TEAC 611 Student Teaching in Secondary Science (5-8)
- TEAC 612 Student Teaching in Elementary Physical Education (K-6)
- TEAC 613 Student Teaching in Secondary Math (5-8)
- TEAC 614 Student Teaching in Elementary Foreign Language (K-6)
- TEAC 615 Student Teaching in Secondary English/Language Arts (5-8)
- TEAC 619 Student Teaching in Secondary Business (5-8)
- TEAC 620 Student Teaching in Secondary Social Sciences (9-12)
- TEAC 621 Student Teaching in Secondary Science (9-12)
- TEAC 622 Student Teaching in Secondary Physical Education (7-12)
- TEAC 623 Student Teaching in Secondary Math (9-12)
- TEAC 624 Student Teaching in Secondary Foreign Language (7-12)
- TEAC 625 Student Teaching in Secondary English/Language Arts (9-12)
- TEAC 629 Student Teaching in Secondary Business (9-12)
- Application Requirements
- Official transcripts
- Two (2) letters of recommendation
- Autobiographical questions
- Why are you applying to this program at this time?
- How do you plan to contribute to this program?
- What do you expect to take from it?
- How will you support your own success in this program? That is, what steps will you take to ensure your success in this academically rigorous endeavor?
We’ll help you figure out your options for receiving financial assistance.Learn More
Graduate Education Faculty
Our instructors are committed to helping you build the future in Iowa and beyond.See Our Faculty
No GRE Required
BVU does not require students to take the GRE for admission — saving you time and money.Request More Info