Join a Welcoming Community.
Share Remarkable Experiences.
Angela Hunter, BVU Regional Program Coordinator
BVU is known throughout Iowa and the Midwest for high-quality teacher training. Our extensive education network means you’ll have access to valuable field education experiences that give you a leg up in the field.
I’ve worked with school districts who have sought out BVU graduates for open positions. In fact, they have stated that a BVU alum’s resume will move to the top of the applicant pile.
What are endorsements?
An educational endorsement is a series of classes in a specific area that qualifies you to teach an additional subject, grade level, or type of learner. At the undergraduate level, endorsements are completed alongside an education major.
- All Social Science Interdisciplinary Package with Teaching Licensure (5-12)
Become a high-quality middle school or high school teacher with a comprehensive knowledge of social science disciplines. Earn Iowa State certification for grades 5-12 fully online. Learn More >
Upon completion of a teaching major in one of the social science disciplines (history, government, economics or psychology), one can obtain the requirements for all social sciences interdisciplinary endorsement by completing the following:
American history: 9 credit hours
- HIST 101 History of the United States to 1877
- HIST 102 History of the United States after 1877
- Any American history elective, 300 level or above
World history: 9 credit hours
- HIST 111 World Civilizations I or HIST 121 The Emergence of Western Civilizations
- HIST 112 World Civilizations II or HIST 122 The Revolutions of Western Civilizations
- HIST 125 Asian Civilizations
Government: 9 credit hours
- PSCN 110 Introduction to American Government
- PSCN 115 Introduction to Politics
- Any PSCN elective, 300 level or above
Psychology (other than educational psychology): 6 credit hours
- PSYC 100 General Psychology or PSYC 102 The Science of Psychology
- Any PSYC elective
Sociology: 6 credit hours
- SOCI 101 Introduction to Sociology
- Any SOCI elective
Geography: 6 credit hours
- GEOG 200 World Regional Geography of the Developed World
- GEOG 201 World Regional Geography of the Developing World (or an approved course from another institution)
- GEOG 300 Human and Cultural Geography (or an approved course from another institution)
Business Economics: 6 credit hours
- ECON 205 Principles of Microeconomics
- ECON 206 Principles of Macroeconomics
- Middle School Endorsement (5-8)
Prepare to teach middle school students in two of four specialized concentrations with this online endorsement. Combine with either elementary- or secondary-level teaching certification.
- Post Baccalaureate Certification Program
Earn your secondary teacher certification in this Iowa-state–approved online program designed for students who already have a bachelor’s degree in an approved specialty area such as English, Mathematics, and more.
- Pre-Kindergarten/Kindergarten Endorsement
Make an impact on the youngest students of the next generation with an online endorsement that qualifies you to teach preschool or kindergarten. Must be combined with an elementary education degree and endorsement.
- Reading Endorsement (K-8)
Prepare the next generation of readers with this online endorsement available to those pursuing an elementary education degree.
- Secondary Education Licensure
Follow your calling with an online endorsement that complements your previously-earned bachelor’s degree in any Iowa-state–approved content areas. Make a meaningful career change and become certified to teach.
- Significant Support Needs
Significant Support Needs – Behavior
Enhance your skills of serving students with severe and profound behavior or learning disabilities. Earn fully online.
Significant Support Needs – Cognitive
Enhance your skills of serving students with severe and profound cognitive learning and physical disabilities. Earn fully online.
- Social Studies
Social Studies Education Licensure (K-8)
Gain a solid foundation in education while earning your online certification to teach students in grades K-8 in the study of human history and the world we inhabit together.
Social Studies with Teaching Licensure (5-12)
Gain a solid foundation in education while earning your online certification to teach older students in the study of human history and the world we inhabit together.
- Special Education
Special Education – Comprehensive (K-12)
Learn to combine science, theory, and hands-on field and classroom experience while building a professional network in this high-demand field.
Gain the knowledge and tools to teach students in grades 5-12 with mild to moderate disabilities in resource, inclusion, pull-out, and push-in models to students having exceptionalities in the area of mild to moderate disabilities.
Become equipped to educate the next generation of science, technology, engineering, and math pros in grades K-8 with this valuable online classroom teaching endorsement. Learn More >
Become equipped to educate the next generation of science, technology, engineering, and math pros in grades 5-8 with this valuable online classroom teaching endorsement. Learn More >
- Talented and Gifted Teacher
Enhance your skills as a practicing professional in the area of talented and gifted teaching with this online program.
- Teaching English as Second Language
Enhance your skills as a practicing educator in working with linguistically diverse students in this fully online program.
TEACH Grant Program
The Teacher Education Assistance for College and Higher Education (TEACH) Grant Program provides up to $4,000 per year in grants for students who intend to teach full time in high-need subject areas for at least four years at schools that serve students from low-income families. Students must meet all eligibility requirements.
Earn a Master’s Degree Faster with Our Accelerated Program
With BVU's Plus One program, you can earn your teaching English as a second language or organizational leadership master's within one year of graduating with your bachelor’s degree.