Take me to:
Below you will find the minimum scholarship awards for incoming Fall 2023 first-year students. Awards are based on high school CGPA.*
Criteria: 3.09 or below
*Students who live off campus will have their scholarship reduced by $5,000. Students who provide test scores or class rank could increase their scholarship.
Beaver Visit Grant
- Criteria: To be eligible, you must be a high school senior or college transfer student entering BVU in Fall 2023, and you must make a BVU visit.
- Amount: $1,000 per year
- Criteria: Must have a GPA of 3.25 or above. Students must also demonstrate a prior history of active engagement in multicultural activities and leadership and/or the desire to be actively engaged in campus multicultural activities and organizations.
- Amount: $4,000 additional award stacked on top of the merit scholarship.
- Deadline: Students admitted before Jan. 30 must interview by Feb. 28. Students admitted after Jan. 30 must interview within 30 days of admission. Students admitted after May 1 are not eligible.
Qualified students may apply for the Mack Family Honors Innovation Fellows Program.
Mack Family Honors Innovation Fellows Program
- Criteria: 3.75 GPA, top 10 percent of high school class
- $2,500 travel stipend
- Research and conference funding, priority class registration
Other Awards & Grants
Fine & Media Arts Awards
- Awards available for animation, art, art therapy, graphic design, scientific illustration, digital media, instrumental music, music production or vocal music; both those majoring in these disciplines or participating in the associated cocurricular program
- Students majoring in one of areas listed above must compete in an audition or portfolio review before March 1. Students participating only must audition or provide a portfolio for review by Feb. 28
- Award amounts vary
- Available to first-year Storm Lake campus students
- Awarded to students based on talent and individuals who are dedicated to continued improvement in their respective areas of activity
- Scholarships awarded in marching band, dance & cheer, rodeo, livestock showing, and esports
- Award amounts vary
- Ask your admissions counselor how you may qualify
Invest in Rural Iowa Scholarship
- Award available to first-year Storm Lake campus students
- Preference given to students who have demonstrated financial need
- Have a strong academic record
- Have been an active participant in school and their local community through organization involvement and volunteering
- Students must hail from one of the following 19 Northwest Iowa counties: Buena Vista, Calhoun, Cherokee, Clay, Dickinson, Emmet, Humboldt, Ida, Kossuth, Lyon, Palo Alto, Plymouth, Pocahontas, O’Brien, Osceola, Sac, Sioux, Webster, and Woodbury
- Up to $5,000 per year for four years
Undergraduate Rural Medicine Education and Development (URMED)
- Each year, at least three pre-med students are selected to intern at Buena Vista Regional Medical Center in Storm Lake and three other area hospitals
- $3,000 stipend to help defray expenses associated with applying to medical school
- Also available: professional enrichment opportunities for pre-professional students interested in physical therapy, radiology, optometry, and pharmacy careers in rural settings
Buena Vista Grants
- Issued to some full-time students
- Determined by financial need and other BVU gift aid
- Must continue to make satisfactory academic progress for renewal.
Education for Service Scholars
- We offer full-tuition, four-year scholarships each year to eligible students who have successfully graduated from one of the following BV County high schools: Storm Lake, St. Mary’s, Sioux Central, Alta-Aurelia, or Newell-Fonda.
- To be eligible, students must: earn a minimum of 3.0 cumulative GPA while completing a college prep curriculum, be a first-generation college student (neither parents nor guardians hold a bachelor’s degree), submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), and be accepted to BVU and apply for the Education for Service Scholars program by Nov. 1.
- Available to any U.S. resident who resides outside of Iowa in a surrounding state
- $2,000 per year
Earn scholarships for your high school achivements
RaiseMe is a micro-scholarship platform for high school students. By signing up for the program, you could earn BVU scholarships for your achievements in school. Add to your portfolio and watch your micro-scholarships add up!