Reporting Sexual Misconduct

There are multiple options for reporting Sexual Misconduct. A complainant may choose to report to the University, to law enforcement, to both, or neither.  These reporting options are not exclusive.  Complainants may simultaneously pursue criminal and disciplinary action.  The University will support complainants in understanding, assessing, and pursuing these actions.

Reports to the University

The University urges anyone who experiences or becomes aware of an incident involving sexual misconduct to report the incident to the University by contacting the following non-confidential resources:

Reports can be made by telephone, email, or in person.  Reports to the University should include as much information as possible, including the names of the individual alleging they have experienced sexual misconduct and the accused, and the date, time, place, and circumstances of the incidents, to enable the University to respond appropriately. 

The Title IX Coordinator can meet with the reporting party to hear their concerns and to review available options for informal and formal resolution. Discussing a concern does not commit one to make a formal charge.  However, an individual reporting a violation of this policy should be aware that the University may decide that it is necessary to take action to address the matter beyond an informal discussion.  An advisor may be present with the complainant while a complaint/concern is being reported to the Title IX Coordinator.

When a student or employee reports to the University that they have been a victim of sexual assault, dating violence, domestic violence, or stalking, whether the offense occurred on or off-campus, the University will provide the student or employee with a written explanation of the student’s or employee’s rights and options and procedures victims should follow.

If you want to speak with a confidential resource, you can contact:

  • Counseling Services: 712.749.2123, Dixon Eilers 208
  • Health Services: 712.749.1238, Dixon Eilers 207
  • Chaplain-712.749.2111, Center for Diversity & Inclusion ‐ Siebens Forum

Reports to Law Enforcement

Some types of sexual misconduct prohibited by this policy are crimes.  Individuals who believe they may have been subjected to criminal sexual misconduct are strongly encouraged to notify local law enforcement authorities.  Complainants have the right to notify or decline to notify law enforcement.  The University will comply with an individual’s request for assistance in notifying authorities and will assist complainants in notifying law enforcement if they choose to do so. 

Individuals who would like to report sexual misconduct to law enforcement should contact the following:

  • 911 (for emergencies)
  • Storm Lake Police Department, 712.732.8010, 401 E. Milwaukee Avenue, Storm Lake, Iowa 50588,
  • Buena Vista Sheriff’s Department, 712.749.2530, 411 Expansion Blvd., Storm Lake, Iowa 50588,

After completing and submitting a police report, the reporting party may be: 1)  contacted by a member from the Sexual Assault Response Team (SART) 2) asked to participate in an interview, and/or 3) asked to submit to the collection of evidence.

Reporting to law enforcement is not necessary for the University to proceed with its investigation and complaint resolution process.

Online & Graduate Students

In addition to the information above, if you are an Online or Graduate student and need assistance, please call 911 for emergencies.

You can also:

  • Call your local police department.
  • For a confidential resource, you can contact the University Counselor at 712.749.2123.
  • If you want to report sexual misconduct, you can contact the Title IX Coordinator at 712.749.2061 or The University Counselor and Title IX Coordinator can direct you to local support resources in your area.
  • Site locations have resource packets available listing additional resources.

Statistics relating to reports to the University of certain criminal offenses will be represented in the annual crime statistics published by the University as required by state and federal law.