Withdrawal Process for Storm Lake Undergraduates

This policy will assist students who feel the need to completely withdraw from the University after a semester has begun but before its conclusion.

Since our accrediting agency does not require it, some members of our faculty do not take daily attendance. Therefore, for a student who officially withdraws, the withdrawal date will be the earlier of the following (unless a later date can be documented):

  • The date the student begins the official process mentioned below, or
  • The date the student officially notifies the institution of intent to withdraw

If a student triggers both definitions above of official withdrawal on different dates, the University will use the earlier date, unless a later academically related activity can be documented. Academically-related activity is defined as one that has been confirmed by an employee of BVU, such as taking an exam, turning in a class assignment, logging into course software, attending a study group, etc. Occupying a room in the residence halls or eating in the cafeteria are NOT considered academically related activities and can have no bearing in withdrawal date determination.

Official notification can come in the written form, via telephone, in person, or through e-mail and should be made with the Office for Student Affairs. Once initial contact is made, the Office for Student Affairs will ask the student to complete a withdrawal form. The student will also be asked to visit certain offices on campus to complete processes with each. This process must also be followed for withdrawal from web based courses.

The Office for Student Affairs will then contact each affected office to provide the official withdrawal date. This date will then be used in the refund calculation. (See return of Title IV Funds/Institutional Refund policy below.)

If a student begins but does not complete semester courses without official notification of withdrawal as described above, they will be considered to have unofficially withdrawn. One example of a student who unofficially withdraws would be one who receives only failing grades for a semester. The withdrawal date for a federal or state aid recipient, who unofficially withdraws, will be the midpoint of the payment period or the last documented day of academically related activity, whichever is later. No refund will be granted for a withdrawal that occurs after 60 percent of the enrollment period has passed. If a student without federal or state aid unofficially withdraws, he/she will be fully charged. In addition, any resident student who unofficially withdraws will receive no refund of that semester’s room and board charges. If a student left without notification because of circumstances beyond the student’s control, such as those mentioned below, BVU might determine a withdrawal date related to those circumstances. In addition, a withdrawal date determination can be appealed for extenuating circumstances such as:

  • Illness
  • Accident
  • Grievous personal loss
  • Or other circumstances beyond the students control

The appeal request should be made through, and will be approved by, the Office for Student Affairs. The student or an interested party can initiate this process.

A student can rescind a withdrawal by providing a written request to the Office for Student Affairs. If a student wishes to request a medical leave of absence instead of withdrawing, he/she should contact the Office for Student Affairs to begin that process.

Students who cease to be academically engaged may also be administratively withdrawn.  The full Administrative Withdrawal policy can be found in the University catalog.

If disciplinary action results in the loss of any college or college-contracted service for the student, there will be no refund, except pro-rated board, unless required by federal, state or other regulations.

The Office for Student Affairs or the Office of Financial Assistance can be contacted with questions concerning the withdrawal process. The Office of Financial Assistance and/or the Business Office can be contacted concerning the refund calculation.