Online, Site and Graduate Students
Contact the Information Technology Help Desk
If you have forgotten your username or password, please contact 2fix, the BVU Computer Center Help Desk, for assistance.
Toll-free phone: 800.248.4462
The BVU Library has made it a priority to provide high quality library resources and services to aid our online, site and graduate students. For an overview of library services offered to these students, you may wish to print this brochure.
- Most library services can be easily reached by all BVU students, faculty and staff regardless of location. The key to access is your BVU username and password.
- The BVU Library provides over 60 databases in a wide array of subject areas that allow researchers to identify scholarly, popular or newspaper articles. Off-campus access to these databases is limited to currently enrolled students and employees of Buena Vista University. Please login with your username and password. Other researchers are welcome to access these databases from one of the computers in the BVU Library.
- BVU Catalog provides the ability to search for the nearly 150,000 books and other materials we own and provides a built-in REQUEST button so that materials you've identified can be delivered to you.
To place a request, click the "Request item" button associated with each catalog entry. You will be prompted to log in to complete your request. Items you request will be mailed to your home address as soon as they are available, or the next business day.
- The Tipasa interlibrary loan service provides an online request service to order books, articles and audio-visual materials that are not available at the BVU Library. Tipasa provides BVU Library patrons with access to millions of items beyond the BVU Library collection. Students and faculty who live outside of Storm Lake may need to pay postage costs to return books and A/V materials to BVU Library.
- Personalized research help is available from trained reference librarians who want to see you succeed with your research! Librarians are available in person, over the phone, via chat or by email.
- Formal and informal library instruction sessions targeted to your research needs. We are available to meet with individuals, small groups, or entire classes.
Is Storm Lake too far away? We deliver! Online, site and graduate students have access to most of the BVU Library collections, just let us know what you need and we'll send it to your home address.
- Books, CDs, DVDs, Video tapes and other "returnables" - when you find the item you want, just click the "Request" button in the catalog. You can also make a request for an item that is checked out and we'll ship it to you as soon as it is returned. Students should plan to pay postage costs to return the item to the BVU Library when they have finished with it. A mailing label will be enclosed for your convenience.
- Articles or copies of book chapters - if you need a copy of an article or a chapter of a book that you know BVU Library owns, you can place a request for it in Tipasa , our interlibrary loan system. It's helpful if you include a note with the request that reads "BVU owns." We'll scan the article or chapter into your Tipasa account and send you an email letting you know when the information is ready for you. This usually takes less than one business day.