Buena Vista University offers the Board of Educational Examiner’s approved Substitute Authorization course, providing the skills and knowledge to serve as a substitute teacher in PK-12 school districts. The course follows a proclamation signed by Iowa Governor Kim Reynolds, which lists changes in requirements for those who seek a Substitute Authorization Certification.
The course is conveniently offered online in a two-week format.
About the Course
Buena Vista University offers the Board of Educational Examiner’s approved Substitute Authorization course, which will provide the skills and knowledge necessary to substitute in PK-12 school districts. This is a 17-hour self-paced online course, which provides more flexibility to become a licensed substitute teacher in Iowa. Students who enroll in the course will have two weeks to complete the coursework. After completing the course and meeting other state requirements, students will be eligible to serve in Iowa school districts as substitute teachers.
BVU’s Substitute Authorization course will be offered every two weeks. Classes will be held in an online format.
- Oct. 26
- Nov. 9
- Nov. 23
- Dec. 7
- Jan. 4
- Jan. 18
- Feb. 1
- Feb. 15
- March 1
- March 15
- March 29
- April 12
- April 26
- May 10
- May 24
- June 7
- June 21
- July 5
- July 19
Per the Governor’s Proclamation of Disaster Emergency, a Substitute Authorization may be issued to an individual who:
- Has successfully completed all the requirements of the approved Substitute Authorization course.
- Has achieved at least one of the following: (1) holds an associate’s degree or has completed 60 semester hours through a regionally-accredited institution, OR (2) has completed an approved Paraeducator Certification Program and holds a Paraeducator Certificate from the Iowa Board of Educational Examiners.
- Is at least 20 years of age.
- Has successfully completed an Iowa Division of Criminal Investigation background check
- Has successfully completed a national criminal history background check
More information on these requirements will be provided in class.
To be eligible for this program, you must meet the following requirements.
- Must hold one of the following:
- An associate’s degree or 60 complete semester hours through a regionally-accredited institution.
- A current Paraeducator Certificate from the Iowa Board of Educational Examiners.
- Meet the minimum age requirement of 20 years of age.
Background check requirements will be discussed and completed as part of the course.
Register for the Course
CEUC 110 Substitute Authorization
The Substitute Authorization course will be offered online every two weeks beginning Oct. 26, 2020. Please note: course start dates are subject to change should minimum enrollments for the course not be met. The registration fee for this course is $200, and transcripts must be provided prior to acceptance and enrollment.