ALPS (Adventure Leadership Program Scholars)
Adventure Leadership Program Scholars & Outdoor Adventure Club
ALPS is a non-academic leadership and skill development program with the goal of training BVU students to become leaders of outdoor recreation trips and clinics. It is required for students to meet once a week for lessons, lead one trip, and conduct one clinic with in a semester. The selected Scholars spend 50+ hours learning hard skills for instance: canoeing, back-country camping, water rescues, and soft skills like team building and group facilitation as well as self-awareness, leadership development, and personal growth.
The students also have many opportunities to participate in fun outdoor activities on campus or in Storm Lake including, but not limited to cardboard boat race, Jack-o-lanterns, camping, cross-country skiing, kayaking, canoeing, and snow tubing. We aim to give back to the environment and community while spreading an appreciation for the outdoors.
2019-2020 Outdoor Adventure Trips and Activities
To register for trips and clinics, stop by the Recreation House during open hours. Payment will be processed separately at the Business Office. All trips and clinics must be paid in advance to confirm your spot. All programs are open to students, faculty and staff. Guests are invited to attend, but first priority is granted to students.
Trip Sign Up Link: https://bvuforms.formstack.com/forms/alps_trip_signup
Learning Objectives - Trips
- Student leaders will be able to enhance their leadership capabilities and guide participants in shaping their social and ethical values.
- Students will develop positive attitudes toward recreational activity through being exposed to new experiences.
- Students will develop new relationships or stronger relationships with individuals in the groups.
Upcoming Events and Trips
Grand Marais, Minn. - Points Unknown - $100 per person
- Horseback riding
- Go-Karting and Skyzone
- Fly Fishing
- Dog Sledding
- Ice Fishing
- Annual Winterfest Activities
- Log Rolling
- Skiing and Snowboarding
- Rock Climbing
- Turkey Trot
- Pumpkin Carving
- Cardboard Boat Float
- Annual Springfest Activities
- Omaha Zoo Camp Out
- Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity
- Discovering Caves
- Spin and Splash (Biking and Lake Activites)
- Sunset Paddle