Take Me To
Why should I earn a health education minor with teaching licensure?
Help students live healthy lifestyles and advise on diet, exercise, and mental health.
Be the turning point in a young person’s life when you help them develop and celebrate their physicality — no matter their ability.
Enjoy an active career where you’re moving every day and celebrating play.
What Can I Do With an Exercise Science Health Education Minor
- Physical education teacher (with education major)
- Recreation program supervisor
- Community health advocate
Why study exercise science health education with Teaching Licensure at BVU?
Exercise science health education students have access to state-of-the-art facilities and equipment. This includes the new human performance laboratory, which houses a Metabolic Cart to measure oxygen uptake.
Unified Sports Day
Each fall, BVU students help put together Unified Sports Day in partnership with Special Olympics Iowa. The event is designed to promote social inclusion through shared sports training and competition experiences, and gives athletes with intellectual disabilities an opportunity to spend the day on campus with BVU coaches, staff, and faculty.
Health Education Degree with Teaching Licensure (K-8 and 5-12) Courses
- Minor in Exercise Science Health Education with Teaching Licensure (20-25 Credit Hours)
- EXSC 280 Lifetime Health Management with Lab
- EXSC 310 Nutrition
- PHED 290 Substance Abuse and Consumer Health
- PHED 308 Methods of Elementary and Secondary Health
- PSYC 100 General Psychology
- SCWK 270 Family Relationships
3 additional credit hours from below for students seeking the Major in Physical Education and Coaching. Students seeking certification in another area must complete 9 credit hours from below.
- BIOL 120 Introduction to Cellular and Human Physiology
- EXSC 460 Physiological Principles of Conditioning
- PSYC 111 Social Psychology
- PSYC 210 Developmental Psychology
- PSYC 239 Abnormal Psychology
- PSYC 265 Health Psychology (Online Only)
- SCWK 100 Modern Social Problems
Additional certification for non-physical education and coaching majors:
Select the courses consistent with the level of your teaching endorsement
K-8 Teaching Licensure
- TEAC 412 Student Teaching in Elementary Physical Education and/or Health
5-12 Teaching Licensure
- TEAC 422 Student Teaching in Secondary Physical Education and/or Health
Financial Aid & Scholarships
We’ll help you figure out your options for financial assistance and possible scholarships.Learn More
Health Education Faculty
Our instructors are committed to helping you build the future of Iowa and beyond.See Our Faculty
Transfer Your Credits
Do you have previously earned credits or an associate degree? BVU accepts most — if not all — of your credits so you don’t have to retake courses.View Course Equivalencies
Earn a Master’s Degree Faster with Our Accelerated Program
With BVU's Plus One program, you can earn your teaching English as a second language or organizational leadership master's within one year of graduating with your bachelor’s degree.