Take Me To
Why should I earn a gender and women’s studies minor?
Study the perspective of marginalized people so you can grow as a person and become an asset to any company or organization who serves people with diverse viewpoints.
College is the chance to explore new ideas and grow as a person. This minor will help you to do both and to go further in whatever career path you take.
Join the Cause
With gender equality and women’s issues at the forefront of global news and political progress, you will gain the knowledge to contribute to important current discussions.
What Can I Do With a Gender and Women’s Studies Minor
- Social worker
Why study gender and women’s studies at BVU?
An Interdisciplinary Approach
BVU’s gender and women’s studies minor is truly interdisciplinary. The program is composed of courses from various disciplines across campus, including psychology, art, digital media, literature, biology, and history. Students also design their own capstone experiences based on their interests and major, which can take the form of a research study, a creative work, or a community engagement project.
Gender and Women’s Studies Courses
- Minor in Gender and Women's Studies (22 Credit Hours)
- GWST 110 Introduction to Gender and Women's Studies
- GWST 489 Capstone Proposal
- GWST 490 Capstone
- 15 credit hours of GWST designated courses from 2 different disciplines.
Contact the coordinator of gender and women/s studies for current list of approved gender and women's studies courses or check the course enrollment report for current semester.
Offerings may include
- COMM 302 Intercultural Communication
- ENGL 215 Measuring Jack’s Beanstalk
- ENGL 300 Advanced Composition
- ENGL 340 Introduction to Literary Theory
- ENGL 395/THME 395 Dramatic Literature: Topics
- ENGL 485 Literature By and About Women
- GWST 499 Independent Study
- PHIL 321 Feminist Theory
- PSYC 329 Psychology of Gender
- PSYC 429 Stereotypes and Prejudice
- RELI 321 Women in Philosophy and Religion
- SCWK 100/SOCI 100 Modern Social Problems
- SOCI 361/PHIL 361 Racism and Sexism in American Life
We recommend that students complete GWST 110 and GWST 490 at Buena Vista University to obtain a BVU gender and women’s studies minor.
Financial Aid & Scholarships
We’ll help you figure out your options for financial assistance and possible scholarships.Learn More
Gender and Women’s Studies Faculty
Our instructors are committed to helping you build the future of Iowa and beyond.See Our Faculty
Transfer Your Credits
Do you have previously earned credits or an associate degree? BVU accepts most — if not all — of your credits so you don’t have to retake courses.View Course Equivalencies
Earn a Master’s Degree Faster with Our Accelerated Program
With BVU's Plus One program, you can earn your special education, teaching English as a second language, or organizational leadership master's within one year of graduating with your bachelor’s degree.
Learn how to tune yourself to the important relationship building that happens through our interactions with others.