Take Me To
Why should I earn an agricultural studies degree?
Experts in agriculture will always be necessary—especially as the industry becomes more high-tech.
Tackle important issues by finding more efficient ways to deliver the world’s fuel.
Whether you go into management or research, the median annual wage for those in agriculture is consistently above $60,000, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics.
What I Can Do With an Agricultural Studies Degree
- Agricultural business/technology
- Sustainable energy/renewable energy
- Agricultural finance
- Commodities trading
Why study agriculture at BVU?
At BVU, our alumni have gone on to accomplish great things in agriculture. Most recently, Mike Naig, a 2000 BVU graduate, was appointed the Iowa Secretary of Agriculture. In this position, he is dedicated to improving the state’s water quality as well as using science and technology to conserve Iowa’s resources for a more reliable food and energy supply.
They Support Us, So We Can Support You
With generous funding in both our business and science departments, agriculture studies majors have the opportunity to work with cutting-edge technology as well as travel to unique locations, gaining valuable experiences that set them apart in the job market.
Learn more about our Institute for Agriculture, Food, and Resource Management.go
Join a Welcoming Community.
Share Remarkable Experiences.
MIKE NAIG, Class of 2000
Mike was appointed Iowa Secretary of Agriculture in March 2018, and attributes much of his success to his alma mater. He is committed to leading efforts to protect consumers, expanding economic opportunities for Iowans, and advocating in Iowa and around the globe. He is particularly dedicated to improving the state’s water quality, as well as embracing science and technology to conserve Iowa’s natural resources and to secure a safe and affordable food and energy supply.
Online & On Site
Learn Completely Online
Earn your degree at your convenience with our easy-to-access, fully online curriculum. With one click, you can view assignments and grades, set up appointments with specialized tutors around the clock, access the student lounge, engage in group discussions, or contact professors. Get the BVU experience on your schedule, wherever you are.
Learn at a BVU Site
You can earn your Bachelor of Agricultural Studies degree without leaving your community. BVU partners with Iowa community colleges throughout the state so you can take classes in person with expert faculty in a supportive environment – we accept 100% of transfer credits from these partner colleges.
Transfer to BVU
Agricultural Studies Courses
- Agricultural Studies Courses
BASc Core (22-23 credit hours)
- OBVU 200 Transfer Seminar
- OBVU 301 Art and Culture
- COMM 355 Conflict Management
- ENGL 100 Written Communication I
- ENGL 305 Writing for Work
- IDST 400 Challenges for the 21st Century
- MATH 130 Mathematical Ideas for the Liberal Arts or MATH 140 Elementary Applied Statistics
- PHIL 336 Professional Ethics
BASc Major in Agricultural Studies (39 credit hours)
- AGBU 225 Agricultural Business Management / Farm Business Management
- AGBU 310 Agricultural Marketing, Pricing and Positioning
- AGBU 320 Economics of Agricultural Markets
- AGBU 340 Applied Agricultural Financial Management
- AGBU 360 Agriculture Policy and Regulations
- AGSC 200 Introduction to Agriculture
- AGSC 200 Survey of the Animal Industry
- AGSC 201 Survey of Crop Science
Five elective courses from
- Any AGBU courses numbered between 300-499
- Any AGSC courses numbered between 300-499
- BIOL 303 Ecology and Society
- ENVS 201 Conservation Ecology
- GENS 320 Physical Geography
- SOCI 301 Human Services in Rural Communities
- MGMT 306 Principles of Management
- MGMT 315 Business Law I
- MGMT 375 Entrepreneurship/Small Business
- MGMT 380 Social Responsibility of Business
- MGMT 475 Advanced Entrepreneurship
- PSPA 320 State and Local Politics
Financial Aid & Scholarships
We’ll help you figure out your options for financial assistance and possible scholarships.Learn More
Agricultural Studies Faculty
Our instructors are committed to helping you build the future of Iowa and beyond.See Our Faculty
Transfer Your Credits
Do you have previously earned credits or an associate degree? BVU accepts most — if not all — of your credits so you don’t have to retake courses.Request More Info
Earn a Master’s Degree Faster with Our Accelerated Program
With BVU's Plus One program, you can earn your education, special education, or organizational leadership master's within one year of graduating with your bachelor’s degree.
On Campus | Online
BVU’s agricultural business program provides training from industry experts in agricultural business administration and rural entrepreneurship. Apply today!
BVU’s applied management major is designed to provide a quicker solution to desired job advancement...