Take Me To
Why Study Agriculture at BVU?
With faculty that come from industry, we don’t just connect you with recruiters, we connect you with the movers and shakers in executive management roles, entrepreneurial endeavors, innovators.
Your studies focus on real data. The theory and practices you learn will be put into action on our ag experiment station. Our faculty come from the industry and will help you build practical skills.
Whether you go into management or research, the median annual wage for those in agriculture is consistently above $60,000, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics.
Every year 60,000 agriculture job openings require advanced skills or degrees... and only 35,000 new college graduates are there to fill these roles! With an agriculture degree from BVU, you will be in high demand.
Building Valuable Connections
With a campus minutes from the agriculture industry, our faculty actively engage industry experts to bring an added layer of real-world context to the class topics within their courses. These interactions are not limited to just local experts, but extends worldwide.
Our faculty help facilitate other connections as well. Recently our students visited the John Deere Combine production facility to see how combines are built and to discuss production and financial management.
Join a Welcoming Community.
Share Remarkable Experiences.
MIKE NAIG, Class of 2000
Mike was appointed Iowa Secretary of Agriculture in March 2018, and attributes much of his success to his alma mater. He is committed to leading efforts to protect consumers, expanding economic opportunities for Iowans, and advocating in Iowa and around the globe. He is particularly dedicated to improving the state’s water quality, as well as embracing science and technology to conserve Iowa’s natural resources and to secure a safe and affordable food and energy supply.
Institute for Agriculture
The future of the world’s food and energy resources is being built right now. Become a part of it with an agriculture degree from BVU. Located in the heart of Midwest ag country, you’ll have opportunities at BVU that you can’t find at any other institution.Learn More
Earn Your Degree From Anywhere
Earn your degree at your convenience with our easy-to-access, fully online curriculum. With one click, you can view assignments and grades, set up appointments with specialized tutors around the clock, access the student lounge, engage in group discussions, or contact professors. Get the BVU experience on your schedule, wherever you are.
For Working Professionals
You can earn your Bachelor of Agricultural Studies degree without leaving your community. Classes start six times per year, allowing you to focus and fit 8-week classes into your busy schedule at your convenience. BVU has transfer agreements with Iowa’s community colleges, helping you get the most out of your hard-earned credits.
Applied coursework emphasizes connections to your career and experiences.
Agricultural Studies Courses
- Agricultural Studies Courses
BASc Core (22-23 credit hours)
- OBVU 200 Transfer Seminar
- OBVU 301 Art and Culture
- COMM 355 Conflict Management
- ENGL 102 Written Communication I
- ENGL 305 Writing for Work
- IDST 400 Challenges for the 21st Century
- MATH 140 Applied Statistics
- PHIL 336 Professional Ethics
BASc Major in Agricultural Studies (39 credit hours)
- AGBU 225 Agricultural Business Management / Farm Business Management
- AGBU 310 Agricultural Marketing, Pricing and Positioning
- AGBU 320 Economics of Agricultural Markets
- AGBU 340 Applied Agricultural Financial Management
- AGBU 360 Agriculture Policy and Regulations
- AGSC 100 Introduction to Agricultural Science
- AGSC 200 Animal Science
- AGSC 201 Survey of Crop Science
BASc Electives: 5 courses from
- Any AGBU courses numbered between 300-499
- Any AGSC courses numbered between 200-499
- BIOL 303 Ecology and Society
- GENS 320 Physical Geography
- HMSV 301 Human Services in Rural Communities
- MGMT 220 Principles of Management
- MGMT 320 Human Resource Management
- MGMT 315 Business Law I
- MGMT 375 Entrepreneurship/Small Business
- MGMT 380 Social Responsibility of Business
- MGMT 475 Advanced Entrepreneurship
- PSPA 320 State and Local Politics
- PSPA 360 Introduction to Public Affairs
Agricultural Studies Faculty
On Campus | Online
From managing production risk, to operating your own business, to analyzing ag loans, BVU’s Ag Business degree sets you up for success in today’s fast-paced environment.
BVU’s applied management major is designed to provide a quicker solution to desired job advancement...