- Incident Reports
- Security Camera Alarms
- First Aid Kit
- Emergency Phone Numbers
- Locations of Fire Extinguishers and Fire Alarms
- Emergency Flashlights
- Medical Emergency
- Bomb Threat
- Disorderly Conduct
- Sick Patrons (bodily fluids)
In the event that something occurs in the library that is considered an emergency or disturbance, an incident report must be filled out. Incident reports are found under that "incident report" basket located on the shelf behind the Circulation Desk. Make sure the form is completed in full before placing it in the basket.
If a patron exits through a fire exit or secured door an alarm will go off. Go to the video monitoring system in the corner of the Circulation Office and press the stop button. This should turn the alarm off. IMMEDIATLEY contact a staff member. If a staff member is not available, contact security.
First-Aid kits are located in the drawers of the Circulation Office.
- Police: 911
- Ambulance: 911
- Campus Security: 2500
- Library Director: 732-7011 (home)
- Forum Information Desk: 2400
- Computer Maintenance: 2349
Evacuate building and press lever on fire alarm on south side of front entrance on the way out or call 911. Fill out incident report when the problem is under control.
- Pillar in front of Circulation Desk
- 4th pillar by glass wall
- Next to world maps outside of seminar room
- Behind first pillar from entrance copier
- Behind fifth pillar from entrance copier
- On wall next to Special Collections room
- East forum exit
- Exit to stairwell/elevator
- Outside of snack room
- On North wall by emergency exit
- On pillar in front of stairs leading to 3rd floor
- Outside service elevator
- Next to exit to Development
- Behind door in Technical Services
- Next to the back entrance in Technical Services
- Two fire extinguishers are located on the south wall outside of the group studies
- Next to the exit leading into the stairwell/elevator
- There are two fire extinguishers located on the north wall of the balcony
- Next to the exit leading to the stairwell/elevator
In the event of a tornado, students may be alerted by warning sirens or by phone. Work/study students should 1) immediately contact library staff on duty and 2) alert all patrons in the library and direct them towards the safety area (make sure to check restrooms and snack room).
Safety Area: the emergency hallway to DE, located to the immediate right hand side (north) of the forum when exiting the library.
If the lights go out due to bad weather, the emergency lights should come on. Have patrons move from the second and third floors to the main floor (the lighting is better here). If the emergency lights go out or fail to come on, retrieve flashlights from behind the Circulation Desk or the circulation office. Help patrons exit the third, second, and then third floor. Close and lock the library and then immediately notify a library staff person if one is not present. Fill out incident report when the problem is under control.
- In the bottom drawer of the horizontal filing cabinet behind the Circulation Desk
- Behind the reference desk
- On the supply shelf next to the refrigerator in Technical Services
Immediately call 911. Notify library staff and security. Fill out incident report when the problem is under control.
In the event that someone calls in a bomb threat 1) immediately notify security, 2) notify staff, 3) call police, 4) if there is no library staff on duty evacuate all patrons from the library. Fill out incident report when the problem is under control.
Occasionally there may be incidents of disorderly conduct in the library. It is important that you do not get involved! 1) call a library staff member, 2) if there is no library staff member call security at 749-2500, 3) if there is an extreme emergency or the potential for violence, immediately call 911. It is also important to notify the Library Director once the situation is under control. Fill out incident report when the problem is under control.
If flooding occurs immediately contact a library staff member. If there is not a staff member on duty call the Library Director and then maintenance (phone 749-2230). Fill out an incident report when the problem is under control.
If a patron gets sick in the library, immediately call maintenance (749-2230) or Security (749-2500) followed by a library staff member. If a librarian is not on duty make sure to keep patrons away from any bodily fluids until maintenance can clean it up. If a patron is severely sick ask them if they need help and proceed to call 911. Fill out an incident report when the problem is under control.