Wednesday, June 3, 2020
Recent events surrounding the sad and tragic death of George Floyd have us mourning with his family and friends, the Minneapolis community, and others around the country. We recognize the pain, fear, and anger many within the BVU community are experiencing right now as well, and the BVU Center for Diversity and Inclusion (CDI) within the Division of Student Success, stands firmly in our vision to develop an environment that promotes cultural sensitivity, humility, and understanding, which provides all students with the opportunity to celebrate diversity and self-identity. We must develop a more robust understanding of structural racism and its impact on individuals, families, and communities, and show our commitment to its eradication through our actions. To all of our students, staff, faculty, and community members of color, we stand with you and with all who stand against racism, racial profiling, police brutality, and injustice. The violent protests surrounding Floyd’s death highlight the fragility of our communities along with the need for accountability, honesty, and just resolution to conflict. We look forward to continued CDI programming to support these needs, and we will do whatever we can to think proactively and help provide an inclusive, safe, and supportive environment for our students and campus community.
Moving forward, we offer the following support and resources:
Our Diversity Fellows are here to offer support and advocacy for our students and campus community. They are trained faculty and staff that have been through a year-long educational program committed to diversity and inclusion practices.
- Brian Lenzmeier, Interim President, email@example.com
- John Bedward, Associate Professor, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Lisa Bengtson, Instructor, email@example.com
- Lori Berglund, Senior Director, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Brittany Garling, Assistant Professor, email@example.com
- Bethany Larson, Professor, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Abdullah Noman, Associate Professor, email@example.com
- Ross Minick, Head Coach, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Donna Musel, Director, email@example.com
- Rylee Walters, Area Coordinator, firstname.lastname@example.org
Along with the Diversity Fellows, additional resources include but are not limited to:
- Center for Diversity and Inclusion - Vice President for Student Success – Lucy Croft – email@example.com
- University Chaplain – Melanie Hauser – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Senior Director of Retention and Student Support – Mike Walker – email@example.com
- Director of Campus Security – Jessica Garling – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Title IX Coordinator - Casey James-Negrete - email@example.com
- Academic Advisors – individually assigned
- Center for Academic Excellence - 712.749.1237 - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Bias incident reporting
In the coming months, the Division of Student Success staff along with the Diversity Fellows and other constituent groups will be developing ongoing program agendas devoted to creating safe spaces for difficult conversations, educational programs to address intolerance and advocacy for civility and equity. BVU upholds our values of respect and inclusiveness where we foster an appreciation for all persons by providing an open and inclusive environment where all are treated with respect.
During these tumultuous times we want you to know that your BVU family is thinking of you from afar no matter what you may be feeling. Beyond the civil unrest, the world is battling a pandemic, and we know these circumstances and more affect you all, and you may be experiencing a mix of emotions that change daily. Along with the resources noted above, we’ve established the Student Support webpage for more information on items like BVU Counseling Services, the CARES Act, and more.
BVU stands united by our mission and vision. We are inspired by our obligation to educate our students through service while making a positive difference in the lives of others.
With great sincerity,
Lucy Croft, EdD
Vice President for Student Success