Center for Diversity & Inclusion
The Center for Diversity & Inclusion at Buena Vista University assists domestic students of color and international students with the transition to student life by fostering an environment that supports both personal and professional growth.
April 23, 2021: The lives of Black, Indigenous, and other People of Color continue to be blighted by structural racism, lack of opportunity, and direct violence. Read More
Dr. Joel Berrien
Senior Director for Diversity & Inclusion
Dr. Annamaria Formichella
Interim Assistant Director for Diversity & Inclusion
Diversity refers to differences in views, interpretations, and reactions that result from a variety of personal lived experiences, values, and worldviews that arise from the heterogeneity of cultures and circumstances. Differing views, interpretations, and reactions that evolve from diversity enrich learning environments focused on preparing individuals to live and work in a global society. Dimensions of diversity include, but are not limited to, race, ethnicity, culture, religion, philosophy, gender, disability, socioeconomic status, age, and affectional orientation.
About the Center
By developing opportunities for students to learn and understand the importance of multiculturalism, the Center for Diversity & Inclusion (CDI) supports all students in broadening their perspective of diversity. CDI enhances the visibility and awareness of diversity within our campus community by creating opportunities for students, staff and faculty to come together for cultural exchange and celebration.
The Center for Diversity & Inclusion works collaboratively with academic and co-curricular departments to promote student learning, development, and success through Educational Outreach, Social Justice & Cultural Programming, Support & Advocacy, and Community Building.
The programs and services of the Center for Diversity & Inclusion & Student Activities are designed to:
- Assist multicultural and international students in reaching their highest level of academic potential and accomplishments.
- Foster a safe and supportive living and learning environment within which students can explore their own cultural identity.
- Assist multicultural and international students in their endeavor to graduate from Buena Vista University.
- Help multicultural and international students set and achieve realistic career goals.
- Develop and encourage strong relations and collaboration among multicultural group members.
- Educate the BVU campus community regarding the nature of a pluralistic society.
Center for Diversity & Inclusion Offices
Located in Siebens Forum, the CDI offices are a hub for conversations and programming pertaining to diversity and inclusion. Further development of the Center allows us to examine strategic efforts to invite people in the progression of cultural competency, civility, inclusiveness, and identity development.
April 1, 2021: Our nation has seen a surge of hate crimes, bias incidents, and racist bullying against Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders. Read More