Cable TV Help Guide
If a resident student of BVU wishes to subscribe to cable television, they must bring a television that is compatible with QAM (quadrature amplitude modulation) digital tuners. This is a common feature found in televisions manufactured for use in the United States since 2007. Televisions without internal QAM tuners will require a digital converter box in order to get the full range of available channels.
For the most accurate information on QAM tuners and your television's compatibility, please refer to your TV manufacture’s website.
You can view what channels are available through our cable provider (Long Lines Broadband) at their website. They also provide converter boxes for rent at a cost of $2.95 per month. Long Lines can be reached at 712.213.7425.
Generally Compatible Companies
- LG Corporation
- Sony Corporation
- Toshiba Corporation
- Vizio Inc.
Companies with Compatibility Issues
- Apex Digital, Inc.
- Dynex (Best Buy)
- Element Electronics
- Emerson Radio Corporation (FUNAI Corporation, Inc.)
- Haier Appliances
- Insignia Consumer Electronics
- RCA Corporation
- Seiki Corporation
- Sylvania (OSRAM Sylvania, Inc.)
- Westinghouse Digital LLC
Specific Incompatible Models*
- Dynex DX-32L151A11
- Emerson EWL20S5B, LC320EM2F, LC401EM2F, LD195EM8
- Haier LEC19B1320, LEC22B1380, LEC22B1380W, LEC24B1380
- Magnavox P2MF23ID/37
- RCA LED32B30RQ, LED24C45RQ
- Seiki SE24FT01, SE47FY19
- Westinghouse DWM32H1G1, DWM32H1Y1, DWM42F2G1, DWM48F1A1, EWM24F1Y1, LTV-27W2
*Model Numbers collected by Drexel University Information Technology