Student Success provides students with opportunities, services, and support for learning outside of the classroom. We offer ways to develop and support the holistic student experience through 12 different student-focused departments.
Student Success at Buena Vista University strives to integrate our students' educational experiences into a learning community filled with opportunities, challenges, and services that promote the development of the whole person. Our job is to create an atmosphere where students can thrive within a learning community prepared to live and work in a global and diverse society.
Involvement in activities outside the classroom influence a student’s personal and professional growth as much as the academic experience does by providing opportunities in leadership, service to others and other skill development. Our staff is devoted to providing the programming and services that support education as a social growth process.
The Division of Student Success is comprised of the following departments led by student success professionals dedicated to the success of each and every student. Under the direction of the Vice President for Student Success, the division consists of: Assistant Dean of Students; Assistant Dean of Student Life, Campus Security; Residence Life & Housing; Judicial Affairs; Student Support; Health and Wellness Services; Counseling Services; Multicultural Engagement; Student Activities; Civic Engagement; Campus Ministry; Career & Personal Development; Recreation Services; BVU Family Association.
If you have any questions please do not hesitate to stop by our office or call 712.749.2123.
View current policies, procedures, activities, and requirements for BVU Students.
Staff and Resources
- Dr. Lucy Shaffer Croft: Vice President for Student Success
- Dr. Ashley Farmer-Hanson: Assistant Vice President for Student Success and Director of Community Engagement
- Gina Hartman: Administrative Assistant to the Vice President for Student Success
- Brooke Paulsen: Office Manager of the GSLC
- Ebony King: Director of Multicultural Engagement
- Elizabeth Multerer: Education for Service Scholars Coordinator
- Tawney Schreier: AmeriCorps Community Engagement Coordinator
- Haley Davis: Assistant Director of Student Activities
- Briana Roberts: Area Coordinator Pierce, White and Grand
- Portia Gresham: Area Coordinator Suites and Liberty
- Jessica Garling: Director of Campus Security
- Lori Berglund: Interim Assistant Dean of Student Life and Director of Career and Personal Development
- Mandi Mollring: Assistant Director of Career and Personal Development
- Mike Walker: Assistant Dean of Students and Director of Retention & Student Support
- Nathan Otten: University Counselor
- Erin Fiala: University Counselor Intern
- Emily Gallagher: University Compliance Manager/Title IX Coordinator
- Theresa Lullman: Secretary of Student Success
- Tami Laursen: Director of Health Services and Wellness
- Trever Berneking: Director of Recreation Services
- Ken Meissner: Director of Spiritual Life & Chaplin