Student MOVE (Mobilizing Outreach & Volunteer Efforts) is the student advisory board to the office of civic engagement. Since 1999, it has served as the student voice to administration for service initiatives happening on and off campus. Student MOVE serves as a resource to students and organizations for volunteer opportunities. Board members coordinate service programs and events that focus on direct service, education, and reflection. Students interview and apply to serve on the executive board.
MOVE Statement of Purpose
Student MOVE models the Buena Vista University motto of Education for Service. We strengthen the connection between the Storm Lake and BVU communities by enhancing civic engagement and improving lives. MOVE generates opportunities for our students to grow and explore their hidden passions through character building experiences such as community-based learning, service opportunities, and advocating for social justice through student education. Our various service and leadership experiences provide BVU students with a profound pathway to self-discovery.
- Describe how one's personal values, beliefs, histories, and perspectives inform one's view of oneself as an effective leader
- Identify one's strengths and weaknesses as a leader and seek opportunities to develop one's leadership skills
- Think critically and creatively, and imagine possibilities for solutions that do not currently exist or are not apparent;
- Serve as a mentor for student or those new to the organizational
- Lead, motivate, influence, inspire, and enable others to contribute toward the effectiveness and success of the organization;
- Demonstrate the ability to display authenticity and congruence between one's true self and one's positional roles;
- Identify leadership, communication/ career related skills developed and how they transfer to life after BVU.
- Demonstrate communication skills and the ability to interrelate with others.
- Show the ability to think critically about the root causes of issues related to community needs
- Recognize the interconnectedness of people and society
Adapted from NASAP and PSU http://edge.psu.edu/pdf/StudentActivitesLOs.pdf