Safety Practices for Faculty & Staff
Keeping Campus Safe
BVU has established health and safety practices for everyone to follow now that we have returned to campus. To mitigate risk and promote safety for our entire BVU community, please make note of the information on this page.
Questions and answers about BVU's plan for returning to campus learning. Beavers Forward Q&A
Take me to:
Health and Testing
TestIowa services on campus will resume on Jan. 11, 2021. COVID-19 testing date and time availability can be viewed by booking an appointment through Health Services.
COVID-19 testing date and time availability can be viewed by booking an appointment through Health Services.
- Remember to complete the COVID-19 Self Assessment on the BVU App daily. This assessment will help determine your next steps.
- If you receive a RED X from the COVID-19 Self Assessment, you should self-quarantine and contact Health Services or Athletic Training (if in season).
BVU TestIowa is available for employees, their spouses, and dependents over the age of two (2). Testing will be available by appointment only, Monday-Friday 8 a.m.-4 p.m. in Health Services & Wellness located in the lower level of the Fieldhouse, L-25. To book an appointment:
- Visit the Health Services website and click "Book an Appointment."
- Select "COVID-19 Testing."
- Follow the directions, which include completing the BVU TestIowa Assessment.
- When completing the assessment, you must use the BVU address: 610 W. 4th Street, Storm Lake, IA 50588
- Once you’ve scheduled your appointment and completed the BVU TestIowa Assessment, you will be emailed a QR code that you will need to bring to your appointment.
- If the scheduled times within Bookings do not work for you, your spouse, or dependent, please call Health Services to schedule a time.
What Employees need to know for their test
- Wear a mask to the appointment and bring your BVU ID.
- Use hand sanitizer and ring the doorbell outside of the Health Services office upon arrival.
- Spouses/dependents should come to the back door of Siebens Fieldhouse and call Health Services upon arrival. They may also be escorted by the employee.
- Have the QR code, which you received in an email from BVU TestIowa, ready to scan (print or electronic).
- Employees tested will need to quarantine until they receive their test results.
- Those tested will be notified of their test results in 48-72 hours.
- Employees who receive a positive test result will self-isolate until:
- At least 10 days have passed since symptoms first appeared
- AND at least 48 hours have passed without a fever—without the use of fever-reducing medications
- AND other symptoms of COVID-19 are improving.
- At least 10 days have passed since symptoms first appeared
- Employees who receive a negative test result after being considered a direct contact will still need to quarantine for 10 days from their last date of exposure.
- Although a test result may be negative, the individual may not have been infected at the time the sample was collected. The incubation period for the virus can be up to 10 days. Unless an individual is tested on the 10th day from their exposure, a negative test earlier in the quarantine period does not mean the individual is not infected. Symptoms can develop after a test was taken, and an individual can be contagious 2-10 days after the exposure, even if they remain asymptomatic.
- Employees who receive a negative test result after experiencing symptoms, and were not considered a close contact, may return to work after meeting the following requirements:
- At least 48 hours have passed without a fever and without the use of fever reducing medications
- AND other symptoms are improving
- AND employees have worked with their supervisor and Human Resources on a return to work date.
Health & Safety
- Employees will be required to maintain six-foot physical distancing from others at all times in common areas on campus.
- Employees will be required to correctly wear a face covering in common areas and when physical distancing cannot be maintained (except for when alone in a private office space).
- Employees will be provided disinfectant spray and/or wipes and will be required to disinfect personal space, personal items, and workspaces frequently before and after each use throughout the day.
- Employees will be required to limit face-to-face events and meetings that require close contact and replace those with virtual meetings and/or telephone calls. When physical distancing is possible, a minimum of six feet should be maintained and face coverings are required to be worn. Approved facial coverings include face masks, face shields, or a gaiter/bammie. A bandana is NOT an approved facial covering.
- In unique circumstances, the University may allow employees to temporarily work from home; supervisors will work with employees on an individual basis.
- Limited travel will be allowed for employees to conduct University business. Non-essential travel—including conferences and networking events—will not be allowed.
- BVU is following CDC and the Iowa Department of Health guidance on COVID-19 testing.
- We have established protocols for when to test, how to quarantine, and established isolation areas in the event a student is suspected or has been confirmed as having COVID-19.
- We have established and coordinated with local health care facilities for medical care and guidance as necessary.
- Employees must perform frequent handwashing following proper technique (20 seconds with friction rub) using soap and water or hand sanitizer throughout the day.
- Employees will be expected to follow respiratory hygiene and cough etiquette (cover coughs and sneezes with a tissue or use the inside of an elbow). Used tissues are expected to be thrown in the trash followed by washing or disinfecting hands properly.
Flu vaccinations are also available to spouses and dependents over 18 years of age. Vaccinations may also be scheduled via the Health Services website.
The number of active cases on campus, as well as information and resources. COVID-19 Information
Buena Vista University, in accordance with members of the American Rivers Conference, will begin modified athletics competition schedules in January 2021. We have taken precautions to minimize risk.
We understand how important athletic competition is to our student-athletes and their families, and we have implemented attendance policies in the best interest of our students, employees, and the entire Storm Lake community.
BVU remains dedicated to maintaining a safe, positive learning environment while reducing risk. The University has established academic procedures and guidelines as we continue the academic year.
We have also extended the offer for remote learning for the Spring 2021 semester. Learn more about the option.
Spring 2021 move-in information for students has been updated.
BVU will continue to provide on-campus housing, with additional safeguards to mitigate the spread of illness. Changes have been made to move-in, cleaning protocols, and community spaces.
Learn more about these updated guidelines, as well as a list of additional items students can bring to campus.
BVU App & Daily Check-In
The Buena Vista University app serves as a convenient location for our students, faculty and staff, families and guests, and alumni to access information and resources. The app includes the COVID-19 Symptom Checker, located at the top of the screen.
Employees are required to complete the Symptom Checker before arriving on campus and reporting to work. Tap “COVID-19 Assessment,” answer all questions accurately, and submit. You will need a thermometer to take your temperature.
Users will receive either a green check or red X. A green check is your “cleared to enter” pass to campus for the day. When arriving on campus and throughout the day, employees will be asked to show their green check in order to participate in daily activities such as reporting to work and entering Campus Dining.
Employees receiving a red X must stay home, contact their direct supervisor, and reach out to a medical provider for further evaluation.Get the App Symptom Tracker (Web Version)
Beaver Commitment & Training
All employees will make the Beaver Commitment agreeing to take responsibility for their health, the protection of others, and take responsibility for helping keep the BVU community safe from the spread of COVID-19 and other infections—as identified and instructed by the University.
The Beaver Commitment was sent to employees via email on Aug. 12, 2020.
Staff will be required to complete the Employee Covid-19 Training and Covid-19 Quiz on the day they return to work (or before) and no later than July 17, 2020—whichever comes first. Faculty will be required to complete the training and quiz the day they return to work (or before) and no later than August 21, 2020.COVID-19 Training for Employees COVID-19 Quiz Beaver Commitment Text
Beavers Forward Helpline
Have questions about our policies or COVID-19 on campus?
Monday-Friday from 7 a.m. to 8 p.m.
Saturday-Sunday from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Anonymously Report Concerns
Students may report concerns about unsafe behavior by selecting "I would like to anonymously report" from the category dropdown. Submissions will remain anonymous.Reporting Form
This page contains health and safety information for BVU faculty and staff. Student Resources
We are committed to food safety and the well-being of all those who dine on campus.
As students continue learning and living on campus, we will continue procedures to promote safety, such as traffic signage within dining spaces, takeout/delivery packaging, plexiglass barriers, and physical distancing.
For health and safety, all employees are required to follow these practices. Noncompliance may lead to consequences as outlined in the faculty and employee handbooks. Handbooks
Guests & Events
To mitigate the spread of COVID-19, BVU will not allow guests or visitors on campus through Dec. 31, 2020.
Campus programming and student organization engagement will be planned in the fall in ways that accommodate all students, while maintaining University traditions. Events will be altered in various ways to reduce risk.
Health Services & Wellness
Available Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Email | 712.749.1238
Available 24 Hours
Office of Admissions
Email | 800.383.9600
Center for Academic Excellence
Email | 712.749.1237
Email | 712.749.2052
Ask a Question
Do you have a question about BVU's COVID-19 safety procedures? Submit it here!