Buena Vista University, in accordance with members of the American Rivers Conference, will begin modified athletics competition schedules in January 2021. We have taken precautions to minimize risk.
We understand how important athletic competition is to our student-athletes and their families, and we have implemented attendance policies in the best interest of our students, employees, and the entire Storm Lake community.
Take me to:
Fan Attendance Policy
Buena Vista University Athletics has announced its home event indoor attendance policy for spectators in an effort to mitigate the spread of COVID-19. This policy will pertain to the sports of basketball, wrestling, volleyball and track & field.
For the sports of basketball, wrestling, and volleyball, each participant (including student-athletes and coaches) will be permitted two immediate family members, or four immediate family members for a split family, to attend games in Siebens Fieldhouse. Gameday event staff will also be permitted at home contests. No admission fee will be charged to attend home events.
Spectators must enter through the main lobby of Siebens Fieldhouse and check in before sitting in spectator seating on the south side of the bleachers across from the team benches and scorer’s table. Spectators must be seated individually or with immediate family members in designated seating areas. Physical distancing and face coverings will be required in accordance with campus policy.
Varsity games for both the men and women may be followed by a junior varsity game if applicable. Games will be streamed and schedules will be available at bvuathletics.com.
Due to the high volume of participants and lack of adequately spaced viewing areas, no spectators will be permitted for indoor track & field events.
All policies are subject to change. Please refer to bvu.edu/coronavirus for more information on BVU’s COVID-19 protocol and policies.
- Prior to arrival at a facility, students must complete the COVID-19 Symptom Checker in the BVU app and follow procedure if not cleared by the app.
- Temperatures will be screened upon arrival in facilities, or prior to first team activity i.e. practice, weight room session.
- Athletes reporting symptoms will notify health services and/or sports medicine staff to schedule a video conference for further evaluation.
- Consistent with current ARC guidelines, athletes will complete the COVID-19 health questionnaire 24 hours prior to competition and have a temperature screening prior to departure and/ or competition. A temperature of 100.4 and above indicates fever symptoms.
Restricted Public Access
- Only students and employees will be allowed to use athletic facilities, including the tracks, weight room, Finkbine Natorium, racquetball courts, etc. Family members and guests of students and employees are not permitted to use the facilities.
Athletic Training Room
- Students will assist with facility cleaning.
- All evaluation/rehabilitation equipment/bikes, etc., will be cleaned immediately following use.
- No sharing of therapeutic modalities (i.e., electrodes/hot packs) will be permitted.
- Electrodes will be labeled per athlete.
- Water bottles will be cleaned via dishwasher following team use.
- Therapeutic whirlpools will be used sparingly with one student-athlete per whirlpool at a time. Each whirlpool will be drained and cleaned prior to use.
- The number of evaluation tables have been reduced to in order to practice social distancing. They will be disinfected after each use.
- Students will assist with facility cleaning.
- There will be an increased number of cleaning station—including one for each platform with disinfecting spray, wipes, and towels.
- All equipment (benches, plyo boxes, barbells, etc.,) will be disinfected prior to the next team’s session.
- The floor will be mopped following activity and prior to next training session.
- Shared equipment such as bags, balls, cones, etc., will be cleaned after use or practices.
- Physical distancing measures will be implemented for all students and employees.
- There will be a reduced number of athletes per athletic trainer in the facility.
- Athletes will have pre-practice care performed outdoors or a designated location in facilities using auxiliary sports medicine equipment to aid in social distancing.
- Post-practice needs such as ice and basic wound care will be available in a cart stationed in respective locker rooms or at a central location for athlete use.
- A reduced number of athletes will be permitted to use the weight room at one time. Select cardio equipment and weight machines will be removed from the weight room to reconfigure weight platforms to aid in physical distancing.
- There will be designated times for faculty, staff, and the general student population to use athletic facilities separate from commonly used athletic team sessions. Individuals will need to sign in upon arrival and sign out upon departure.
- Teams will have assigned platforms and work out groups throughout the year.
- Seating charts will be used for team meetings to maintain physical distancing, and face masks will be required.
- Student workers and/or athletics staff will be responsible for washing team practice and game uniforms.
- There will be assigned lockers and a reduced number of athletes permitted in locker room at one time. Staggered meeting times will be established.
Learn more about safety practices and protocol implemented by Buena Vista University.