BVU students majoring in science, technology, engineering, or mathematics may apply for this National Science Foundation grant. Students from low and middle-income backgrounds qualify for free tuition within their first year, measured by the sum of BVU scholarships, grants, and state and federal grant aid. Financial aid is renewable each year.
BVU’s Career and Research Exploration to Enhance Retention in STEM (C.A.R.E.E.R.S.) program provides students with special access to:
- A three-week January science trip
- Targeted programs in STEM
- Internship and research opportunities
- Have an expected family contribution of $13,500 or less
- Meet at least two of the following:
- Earn a high school GPA of 3.3 or higher
- Score at least 24 on the mathematics component of the ACT
- Rank in the top 25 percent of the student's high school class
- Author a thoughtful and well-written essay demonstrating understanding of, interest in, and desire to persist and succeed in the STEM C.A.R.E.E.R.S. program
- Have a recommendation by a high school science teacher stating the student's aptitude for and an interest in science, as well as potential for success in the program
- Complete a personal or phone interview further demonstrating interest in pursuing studies in a STEM field
Many students do not persist in STEM fields due to the lack of knowledge about the comprehensive range of careers that are available to them after graduation.
The cohort will have access to a spectrum of services, including learning communities, tutoring, mentoring, success programs, and a robust career development plan.
Specific activities will include seminar-style courses, a career-focused science trip, and interdisciplinary research and internship opportunities.
Opportunity and Support
"I am very excited for this program because it can make a college education even more affordable for students and give them the needed support services to be successful in high demand fields."
— Dr. Lisa Mellmann, associate professor of physical science
Take the Next Step
We are excited to discuss your qualifications for the STEM C.A.R.E.E.R.S. program! Contact us at 800.383.9600 or firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.