Education for Service Scholarship
Through the Clausen Family Education for Service Scholarship, first-generation students can receive a full-tuition award to attend Buena Vista University based on their academic achievements and service-oriented work. Full-tuition four-year scholarships are available exclusively high school students in Buena Vista County. In return, award-winning students will serve as Iowa College AmeriCorps volunteers to build on valuable personal, leadership, and professional skills.
About the Program
- Join a cohort of students to complete up to five hours of purposeful community service activities per week
- Attend enriching service-oriented retreats to broaden the meaning of service
- Participate in success coaching
- Choose from hands-on service opportunities, capacity building, and research on and off campus
- Scholarships are available for students who attend Storm Lake, St. Mary's, Sioux Central, Newell-Fonda, or Alta-Aurelia High Schools.
- Eligibility Requirements
To be eligible for this program, students must:
- Successfully graduate from one of the designated high schools.
- Earn a minimum of 3.0 cumulative GPA while completing a college prep curriculum.
- Be a first generation college student (neither parents nor guardians hold a bachelor’s degree).
- Be Federal Pell Grant and Iowa Tuition Grant (state) eligible.
Students planning to commute from home: we encourage you to apply as well!
About our Education for Service Scholars
An Affordable Opportunity
State and federal financial aid may be used to pay for room and board. Students will gain additional personal, leadership, and professional skills in decision-making, goal-setting, communication, and much more. To apply, all components of the BVU application for admission, FAFSA, and the Education for Service Full-Tuition Scholarship Application must be completed. The application deadline is March 1.