Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy

Undergraduate Policy  Graduate Policy

Undergraduate Students

The Higher Education Act of 1965, as amended, requires that all federal financial aid recipients make satisfactory academic progress towards degree completion. In addition to receiving financial aid from one or more of the various federal funds, receipt of state or institutional funds will also rely on a student meeting these standards. These standards apply to a student’s entire degree program including terms in which financial aid was not received. Specific aid programs or departmental standards may require more than the minimum standards described below.

The Standards

Financial assistance satisfactory academic progress will be measured by the student’s cumulative grade point average (cgpa) and the percentage of hours earned in relation to those attempted (pace).

1. Cumulative grade point average

Because the transition to university learning is challenging, first and second year students are allowed time to build their CGPA to a 2.0 as they accumulate credits. A student is considered to be making financial assistance satisfactory academic progress by earning a cgpa above the ranges detailed below. A student’s cgpa will include those grades associated with BVU credits only; grades earned at other institutions are not included.  The second and any subsequent grade(s) for repeated coursework will be used in the CGPA computation.  Only the first grade will be omitted from the grade point average.

Less than 241.75 or better cpga
24-55.991.9 or better cpga
56+ or 2 years of enrollment, whichever comes first2.0 or better cpga

2. Pace

Adequate progress towards degree completion is measured by an appropriate ratio of credit hours earned in relationship with credit hours attempted. Students must complete 67% of the hours attempted to be making satisfactory academic progress. Withdrawing from courses, earning NC (no credit) and/or failing courses may ultimately result in not achieving the necessary completion rate which would allow a student to graduate in the time allowed (see Maximum Timeframe for Financial Assistance below). A student is considered to be making adequate pace towards degree completion if the 67% is met.

Upon admission, transfer students are assumed to be making satisfactory academic progress. Courses successfully completed at another institution that fulfill degree requirements at BVU will be included in pace calculations.

All courses completed at BVU are included in the analysis of academic standing. BVU does not use incompletes as a grading option. If a course is repeated, the repeat(s) will count in attempted hours for pace calculation purposes.

Review Process

The Academic Standing Committee will review students’ progress three times each academic year (following fall, spring and summer semesters). The Associate Dean of Faculty will notify, in writing, those students whose academic record falls short of the standards for both continued enrollment and financial assistance eligibility, as detailed above. Based on the results of that review, a student may be placed on financial aid warning, probation, be allowed to return on an academic plan, or financial assistance may be suspended.

Financial aid warning would be the result during the first review period after which a student fails either of the standards mentioned above. If a student is placed on warning, financial aid eligibility will continue for that warning period.

A student who fails to achieve good academic standing after a warning period will be suspended from the University unless an appeal is submitted and approved. Appeals may be granted in cases of extenuating circumstances such as illness, family emergencies, etc., that may affect a student’s ability to achieve SAP.

Following a successful appeal, a student may be placed on probation for the next semester, or on an academic plan, which may encompass more than one semester. If placed on probation, the student must achieve good academic standing following the probationary semester. A student placed on an academic plan may continue to receive financial assistance as long as the terms of the plan are being met.

A student without a successful appeal will be suspended.

Appeal Process

All appeals should be in writing and received by the Associate Dean of Faculty in sufficient time for processing. The written appeal must include and document the extenuating circumstances that prevented the student from meeting SAP, what has changed in the student’s situation, and the specific steps that will be taken to ensure future success, including a schedule of classes to be taken, when those classes will be taken, and at which locations.

Before a decision is made, the student’s progress-along with details in the appeal-will be reviewed by the SAP Committee to determine if and how the student can regain good academic standing.

Re-establishing SAP

Other than in situations where an appeal is granted, a student who has lost eligibility for federal or state aid can only regain eligibility by taking action that brings them back into satisfactory academic progress. Neither paying for classes nor sitting out any length of time affects a student’s academic standing so neither is sufficient to re-establish eligibility.  However, if a previously suspended student applies for readmission to BVU (which would include a new reason for appeal) after an academic suspension, that student may be allowed to return, with the benefit of financial assistance, if an academic plan is created to assist the student in attaining satisfactory progress.  The student would continue to be eligible for financial assistance as long as the plan specifics are being met.

Maximum Time Frame for Financial Assistance

Undergraduate students will be allowed to attempt up to 192 total credit hours, or for transfer students, 150% of the hours it is determined are needed to complete the attempted BVU degree/program at the time the student enrolls. If the attempted program is not completed within this time frame, even in situations where there has been a change of course of study, financial aid eligibility will be terminated. Appeals will be allowed on a case-by-case basis and should be made to the Office of Financial Assistance.

Students are not eligible to receive federal aid for courses which will not count towards degree completion requirements.

Students who enroll in a second degree or teacher certification may be eligible for aid and will have their academic progress calculated from the credit hours attempted beyond the first degree.

Students returning only to complete a major are not eligible for financial assistance.