Frederick V. Moore
Frederick V. Moore is the 17th President of Buena Vista University. He is an attorney who holds J.D. with Honors, M.B.A., and B.A. degrees from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. President Moore is a member of Phi Beta Kappa, Beta Gamma Sigma and served on the staff of the North Carolina Journal of International Law and Commercial Regulation. Moore was a Dean's Scholar at UNC-CH's Kenan-Flagler School of Business. In addition to law practice, he also has experience in private industry as a strategic planner, financial analyst, and marketing executive.
During his years of service at BVU, President Moore and his colleagues have collaborated to achieve several important milestones.
- BVU became the nation's first totally wireless campus in 2000.
- The new $26 million Estelle Siebens Science Center.
- The $9.5 million Lamberti Recreation Center.
- Construction of three new residence hall projects.
- Renovation of eight campus buildings.
- Creation of the online program and expansion of Graduate & Professional Studies to sixteen locations.
- New graduate programs in education.
- A new degree - the Bachelor of Applied Studies - that triples the credits BVU accepts for roughly half of Iowa's Community College students.
- New investments in the academic program and scholarships.
- Expanded recruiting efforts of diverse populations to significantly increase student diversity.
President Moore has served on a number of regional and national boards and commissions.
- Appointed to the Access Education and Iowa College Student Aid Commissions by Iowa Governor Terry Branstad.
- Appointed to the Iowa Commission on Volunteer Service and the Iowa Learns Council by former Iowa Governor Tom Vilsack.
- Chair - Tax Policy Committee of the National Association of Independent Colleges and Universities Board of Directors (past member).
- Board of Directors - The Council of Independent Colleges (past member).
- Board of Directors - The Iowa College Foundation.
- Board of Directors of the Iowa Lakes Corridor Development Corporation.
- Board of Directors - MetaBank.
- Past Trustee - The Council for Adult and Experiential Learning.
- Past Chair - Iowa Association of Independent Colleges and Universities.
- Past Chair - Iowa Intercollegiate Athletic Conference Council of Presidents.
Vice President for Institutional Advancement
Converse was named Vice President for Institutional Advancement in December 1999, having served previously at BVU for five years as director of development. A graduate of South Dakota State University, Converse earned his Master of Public Administration degree from the University of Missouri-Kansas City. He is responsible for the operation of the university's development and alumni relations programs. He manages a staff who yield over $5 million per year in support of annual and capital projects. Converse is a frequent speaker and facilitator at Council for Advancement and Support of Education conferences and workshops.
Dr. David Evans
Vice President for Academic Affairs/Dean of the Faculty
Dr. David R. Evans joined Buena Vista University as Vice President for Academic Affairs and Dean of the Faculty in July 2008. He earned his B.A. from Pomona College, and his M.A. and Ph.D. in English from the University of Virginia.
Prior to coming to BVU, Evans was Dean of the Petree College of Arts and Sciences at Oklahoma City University from 2005-2008, and before that was Chair of the Department of English, Speech and Journalism at Georgia College & State University. He started his academic career at Cornell College in Mt. Vernon, Iowa, where he was on the English faculty from 1990-2000. As an administrator, he has considerable experience in academic program development, study abroad, and collaboration between academic and student affairs. He has extensive teaching experience in various areas of British literature, and is currently a regular blogger on academic hiring for The Chronicle of Higher Education.
Vice President for Enrollment Management
Mike Frantz joined BVU as Vice President for Enrollment Management in February 2012.
He previously served as Vice President of Enrollment at Robert Morris University (RMU) in Moon Township, Pa, near Pittsburgh, a position he held since 2009. He is a 1986 graduate of Simpson College and in 1987 he received a master’s degree in political science at the University of Iowa.
Frantz worked on the BVU admissions staff from 1989-1998 starting as a counselor and advancing to Director of Admissions, a position he held for four years. While serving as director, he helped lead the recruitment of four of the five largest freshman classes in BVU’s history and set BVU's all-time freshman class record.
In 1998, he left Buena Vista to lead the enrollment program at Wilkes University in Wilkes-Barre, Pa., where he also set institutional records. During his career, he has also done enrollment consulting work at a number of universities across the central and eastern regions of the United States.
Elizabeth S. Merten
Vice President for Business Services
Elizabeth (Liz) Merten has served Buena Vista University with distinction for more than 30 years. Prior to serving as Vice President of Business Services, she was the Director of Business Services from 1996-2007, Business Manager (1990-1996), Assistant to the Vice President for Business (1982-1990), and Cashier/Bookkeeper (1977-1982).
Merten earned a Masters in Human Resource Management (MAHRM) from Briar Cliff University and a Bachelor of Arts Degree in Accounting from Buena Vista University. She has an Employment Law Certification from Drake University, Senior Professional Human Resources Certification (SPHR), World at Work CCP Certification (pending completion), and College Business Management Certification from the University of Kentucky.