Information for Students
Resources for future graduates to prepare for commencement at Buena Vista University. Congratulations to the Class of 2019!
Baccalaureate and Commencement: May 25, 2019
Graduates are invited to sit with their family and friends at the service. Academic apparel will not be worn at this service.
11 a.m.-1 p.m.
Commencement Brunch Buffet
Dows Grand Ballroom, Harold Walter Siebens Forum. Watch for details coming soon.
Graduates must be in Schaller Memorial Chapel for line-up no later than 1:30 p.m.
The Commencement procession will begin to move through the Victory Arch and enter Siebens Fieldhouse at 2:30 p.m.
Immediately following Commencement
All guests, faculty and staff are invited to relax and celebrate with the graduates and their families on the east lawn of Siebens Fieldhouse. In case of inclement weather, the reception will be held in the Lamberti Recreation Center. Sponsored by the National Alumni Association.
Storm Lake campus graduates will be sent an electronic invitation to attend the Commencement Fair, which is scheduled for Wednesday, March 13. Various Storm Lake campus offices will be available for you to take care of end-of-the-year details in one location. Graduates from our Online, Site and Graduate Programs will take care of end of the year details at their respective locations.
Ticket Requests for Commencement Ceremony
- Admission tickets are required for your guests at the Commencement ceremony to be held in Siebens Fieldhouse at 2:30 p.m. on Saturday, May 25. Tickets are free of charge.
- Orders for commencement admission tickets must be placed by the graduate no later than 11:59 p.m. on Monday, May 6, 2018.
- Each graduate can order up to six tickets for their guests. If there are additional tickets available after the deadline, they will be released on at 1 p.m. at the Siebens Fieldhouse on commencement day.
- If your ticket requirements change after submitting your initial request, please enter a new request. The date of the most recent request will be honored. If you've ordered tickets and decide later that you will not be attending the commencement ceremony, please go back to the commencement ticket web site and place a new request for 0 tickets. This will free up tickets for the guests that still need tickets.
Cap and Gown Ordering (Herff-Jones Co.)
All graduates are encouraged to order a cap and gown whether you plan to attend the Commencement ceremony or not (the cost is included in your graduation fee).
- Orders will be accepted online through 11:59 p.m. on Friday, April 12, 2019. After that date, you need to contact the Lehnus Campus Bookstore (712.749.2395) to place your cap and gown order. Orders placed after the April 12 deadline will incur a $25 rush order charge. Call-in orders will be accepted until Friday, April 19.
- Graduates who do not have access to a computer may place their cap and gown order by contacting the office personnel at the site/location where they receive advising services:
Ticket/Cap and Gown Pick Up
Tickets can be picked up during cap & gown distribution on the stage of Anderson Auditorium (located in the Harold Walter Siebens School of Business/Siebens Forum):
- 11 a.m.-2 p.m. on Wednesday, May 22, Thursday, May 23 and Friday, May 24 in Anderson Auditorium, located in Siebens Forum.
- 10 a.m. - 1 p.m. Commencement Day at the table outside Anderson Auditorium
Graduates unable to access Anderson Auditorium using the stairs may contact the Registrar's Office (firstname.lastname@example.org) or phone 712.749.2641 to request pick up of your cap/gown at the commencement admission ticket table located outside Anderson Auditorium.
- Storm Lake campus graduates: Please allow 5-10 minutes to complete a Senior exit survey when picking up your cap and gown.
- Online, Site, and Graduate Program students: Information on completing the Online, Site, & Graduate Program Senior Exit Survey will be here in the Spring.
Assembly Location for Commencement Ceremony
Graduates should be in Schaller Memorial Chapel no later than 1:30 p.m. to receive instructions and assemble for the Commencement procession. The Commencement procession will begin to move through the Victory Arch at 2:15 p.m. and enter Siebens Fieldhouse at 2:30 p.m. Graduates who arrive late will be placed at the end of the line for their school rather than in alphabetical order.
Attendance at Ceremonies
All graduates are expected to participate in the ceremonies. If you must be absent, please contact the site where you receive advising services.
- Campus (Storm Lake) 712.749.2233 (Molly Ringgenberg) email@example.com
- Online 712.749.1880 firstname.lastname@example.org
- Masters 712.749.2162 (Deb Lenhart) email@example.com
- Site graduates, find your location contact information.
Recognition of honors at the Commencement ceremony, including honor cords and announced honors, is based on coursework completed and grades processed by the Registrar's Office prior to April 1. Any additional transfer work, BVU grades, or grade changes received after April 1 will not affect the honors announced during the Commencement ceremony. You may check your current cumulative GPA via Beavernet-Unofficial Transcripts, or Degree Audit. Please see BVU’s policies on graduation honors.
Designation of actual honors earned will be based on the cumulative grade point average upon completion of degree requirements and will be noted on the diploma and final transcript and you will receive the appropriate honors ribbon.
Online, Site, and Graduate Program graduates only – If you received honors and your GPA changes, please contact your site/location during regular business hours to exchange your honors ribbon for the correct one.