BVU to Present Shakespeare's "As You Like It"
Oct. 31, 2013
Buena Vista University Theatre is presenting William Shakespeare’s romantic comedy, As You Like It.
Performances of the play will take place November 6, 7, 8 and 9 at 7:30 p.m. in Anderson Auditorium on the BVU campus. As You Like It will be directed by Dr. Michael Whitlatch, professor of theatre; technical direction by David Walker, assistant professor of theatre; and costume layout will be handled by Dr. Bethany Larson, associate professor of theatre.
As You Like It is considered to be one of Shakespeare’s great romantic comedies. In the story, Rosalind flees into the Forest of Arden with her cousin Celia and Touchstone the court jester to find safety, and she eventually finds love. The play was first published in 1623 and has been adapted for radio, film and musical theatre. Dr. Whitlatch is updating the setting of the play to the 1940s to include romantic music from that era.
“So far, we’ve had great fun in rehearsals, and we’re looking forward to entertaining the audience. The cast, in particular, has shown a great deal of creativity during the entire rehearsal process,” said Dr. Whitlatch. “As You like It has been called a ‘joyous’ comedy, for it is among the most light-hearted and carefree in all of Shakespeare’s plays. While there might be trouble, we know the danger will pass and romance will end happily for all concerned.”
The cast is comprised of BVU students, including:
- Duke Frederick — Chase Werden, sophomore political science and public administration double major from Carroll
- Celia, daughter of Duke Frederick — Nicole Boysen, sophomore English major from Danbury
- Touchstone, a clown — Matt Schulz, freshman theatre major from Waverly
- Le Beau — Lindy Pearson, freshman business entrepreneurship and accounting double major from Lincoln, Neb.
- Charles, a wrestler — Demetrius Heard, senior digital media major from Chicago
- Duke Senior — Michael Hamlett, freshman theatre, music production and technology, and digital media triple major from Arlington
- Rosalind, daughter of Duke Senior — Hannah Anderson, senior arts management-speech/drama major from Boone
- Amiens — Ronda Long-Birdsall, senior English secondary education and social work double major from Council Bluffs
- Jaques — Kadie Dennison, senior communication studies and theatre double major from Lisbon
- Oliver de Boys — Stephen Condon, junior theatre and arts management-music double major from Barnum
- Orlando de Boys — Seth Mecklenburg, freshman digital media major from Friendship, Wis.
- Jaques de Boys (second brother) — Holly Keenan, freshman mathematics major from Storm Lake
- Adam — Caleb Ryerson, sophomore history major from Lake Mills
- Dennis — Jessica Kollenkark, sophomore elementary education major from Adel
- Hymen — Chase Werden
- Sir Oliver Martext, a vicar — Tiffany Brauckman, freshman music secondary education major from Atlantic
- Corin, a shepherd — Emily Johnson, freshman digital media major from Storm Lake
- Silvius, a shepherd — Kay Rubino, senior digital media major from Aurora, Colo.
- William, a country fellow — Morgan Konz, junior English major from Remsen
- Phebe, a shepherdess — Claire Boston, freshman theatre and digital media double major from Cedar Rapids
- Audrey, a country girl — Makenzie Mauntler, freshman graphic design and visual communications major from Glenville, Minn.
- First Lord — Cassie McCreary, senior music production and technology major from Spencer
- Second Lord — Tiffany Brauckman
- First Page — Destinee Staley-Williams, freshman music secondary education major from Alta
- Second Page — Alejandra Mendoza, freshman Spanish secondary education major from Alta
Ticket reservations for the play can be made online at www.bvu.edu/tickets or by calling the BVU Theatre Hotline at 712.749.2211. Tickets are $5 for adults and $3 for students and senior citizens and may be picked up at the door on the evening of the performance you plan to attend.