Frequently Asked Questions
- About Online Programs
- Is Buena Vista University accredited?
- Does BVU offer online graduate degree programs?
- How many credit hours are required for graduation?
- Can I complete my degree entirely online?
- How long are the courses or on what schedule do they run?
- When do the terms start?
- How long do I have to complete my degree once I begin?
- Is there a thesis requirement for the Master's program?
- Admissions/Financial Aid
- How much is the application fee?
- How do I file for Financial Aid?
- What is the deadline to file for Financial Aid?
- What is the federal school code for Financial Aid?
- What is the estimated cost of books?
- What is the admissions deadline?
- When will I be notified of my acceptance?
- Does Buena Vista University accept transfer graduate credit?
- General Program/Course
- Do I complete the courses at my own pace?
- How much time will I spend each week on class work?
- How many courses can I take at one time?
- Will I be able to complete my program within two years?
- Do I need to be online at certain times for class/group discussions etc.?
- How do I order my textbooks?
- Is there a spring or fall break during my course?
Does BVU offer online graduate degree programs?
Yes. We currently offer a Master of Education in Curriculum and Instruction with three tracks: Effective Teaching and Instructional Leadership, Talented and Gifted (TAG), and Teaching English as a Second Language (TESL).
How many credit hours are required for graduation?
Master of Education students enrolled in the Effective Teaching and Instructional Leadership and Talented and Gifted Tracks need to complete 30 credit hours. Master of Education students enrolled in the Teaching English as a Second Language Track need to complete 31 credit hours.
How long are the courses or on what schedule do they run?
BVU Graduate & Professional Studies programs run by terms, not semesters. Each term is eight weeks long. All terms begin on a Monday and run through the last Sunday of the eight-week period.
When do the terms start?
Term 1: August; Term 2: October; Term 3: January; Term 4: March; Term 5: May; Term 6: July
The terms follow the academic year, not the calendar year. See the term schedule for specific dates.
How do I file for Financial Aid?
Eligibility for financial assistance in the form of loans is determined by the Financial Assistance Office after completing the online Free Application for Federal Student Aid, or the FAFSA.
What is the deadline to file for financial aid?
Financial Aid information should be completed as soon as possible. Please indicate that your SAR (Student Aid Report) should be sent to Buena Vista University.
What is the estimated cost of books?
The estimated cost of each text book is between $100.00 and $200.00. Books are available to order online through the BVU bookstore and can be delivered directly to your home.
- No more than six hours may be transferred into the student's program.
- Transfer credit must consist of course work that has been obtained from an accredited graduate program within the past eight years.
- Only course work with an obtained grade of "B" or above may be transferred.
- The Admissions Committee will examine the courses for similarity of content and will approve or disapprove the transfer by a simple majority vote.
Do I complete the courses at my own pace?
No. Each course is divided up into 8-weekly workshops. The workshops begin on Monday and end on Sunday. Within each workshop there will be due dates to keep you on track. The courses are group-paced, so you can work ahead a somewhat, but not so much that you lose the rest of the class.
How much time will I spend each week on class work?
Graduate students should expect to spend between 15-18 hours a week. These time-on-task estimates will vary from student to student, but they are based on the amount of time you would typically spend in class and work on assignments outside of class for a traditional, face-to-face semester course.
Will I be able to complete my program within two years?
Yes. The course schedule is set up so that students may enter the program during any term and should be able to complete within two years as long as they maintain an appropriate load. When you enroll in the program, your advisor will develop a plan of study based on your needs and the schedule to keep you on track for achieving your goals in the desired time frame. Graduate students would need to complete 5 courses per year to finish a degree within two years. The schedule does provide for taking courses in only 5 out of 6 terms, if desired.
Do I need to be online at certain times for class/group discussions etc.?
No. There are no set times that you will need to be online. However, your instructor may have optional chat times and within your group, you may set times to be online.
How do I order my textbooks?
All books for online courses can be ordered online through Buena Vista University's Lehnus Campus Bookstore operated by Follett, Inc. Books ordered from the BVU Lehnus Campus Bookstore are kept in stock for all BVU courses, and they ship the same business day if orders are received before 3 PM CST. You usually will get your books within 2-3 business days of placing an order. (If you choose to order from other online bookstores, you may not get your books on time. Remember, online book sellers do not necessarily keep books in stock, especially textbooks, so you may have to wait more than a week to get your books.)
Is there a spring or fall break during my course?
No. There are not breaks during the term. There will be a three-week holiday break after Term 2, at the end of the calendar year. There will also be a one-week break after Term 4.