45 credit hours
Credits shown here reflect the number required to graduate for the given major. Your actual number of required credits may be higher or lower depending on your previous college experience. The actual number of credits you will need to graduate from BVU will be determined by a free official transcript evaluation.
This cross-disciplinary professional studies program provides the tools and organizational skills necessary to effectively perform administrative roles within an organization. Course work focuses on general business practices and procedures along with communication skills necessary to interact, problem solve, and lead other members of a working community. This leadership studies program is best suited for students with work experience and/or strong interest in interdisciplinary studies. Choose from one of two tracks: human services or business.
BVU’s organizational leadership degree can be found at our Graduate & Professional Studies locations on community college campuses throughout Iowa. Students interested in adult learning and looking for a degree completion program can choose to take evening classes, online classes and hybrid classes. Our organizational leadership major allows you to earn a bachelor’s degree at a convenient time for you.
Organizational Leadership Core
- ACCT 310 Accounting for Managers
- COMM 350 Organizational Communication Theory and Practice
- COMM 355 Conflict Management
- COMM 370 Leadership Communication
- COMM 374 Interviewing
- MGMT 306 Principles of Management
- MGMT 315 Business Law I
- MGMT 380 Social Responsibility of Business
- MRKT 306 Principles of Marketing
Organizational Leadership Human Services Track
- SCWK 350 Social Welfare Programs and Policies
- SOCI 301 Human Services in Rural Communities
- SOCI 380 Methods of Social Research I
3 courses from:
- PSYC 329 Psychology of Gender
- PSYC 364 Industrial Psychology
- HMSV 351 Aging in American Society
- HMSV 352 Child and Family Welfare
- HMSV 353 Social Intervention with Families
- SOCI 302 Sociology of Deviant Behavior
- SOCI 361 Racism and Sexism in American Life
Organizational Leadership Business Track
- MGMT 320 Human Resource Management
- MGMT 410 Organization Theory
- MRKT 340 Business Marketing
3 courses from
- MGMT 375 Entrepreneurship/Small Business
- MGMT 420 Advanced Human Resource Management
- MGMT 465 Production and Operations Management
- MRKT 355 Consumer Behavior
- MRKT 415 Sales Management
- PSYC 364 Industrial Psychology
Tuition & Fees
2014-15 Tuition:$390 per credit hour
2015-16 Tuition:$402 per credit hour
How to Apply
Programs within BVU Graduate & Professional Studies are classified as junior-senior level. Persons who have completed an associate degree or 60 credit hours from a regionally accredited institution qualify for admission. College level examination program credits (CLEP) and life experience credit may be available as described in the academic section.
- Although personal interviews are not required, applicants are urged to confer with an advisor.
- Request that official transcript(s) from each college or university previously attended be sent to the BVU Graduate & Professional Studies site office. Without official transcripts and records, a student will not be allowed to register beyond the initial semester.
- Complete the BVU Graduate & Professional Studies application form
- If you will be applying for financial assistance including student loans, complete the Free Application for Federal Financial Student Aid (FAFSA) at www.fafsa.gov.
- Students who have previously earned a B.A. or B.S. degree may be eligible to earn a second bachelor’s degree from Buena Vista University. Guidelines are available from the BVU Graduate & Professional Studies office.
Financial Assistance is available to qualified students at our traditional campus and to students taking undergraduate and graduate coursework at our Graduate & Professional Studies locations. All students are encouraged to fill out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid at www.fafsa.ed.gov. The FAFSA is processed by the U.S. Department of Education. You may request to have your FAFSA results sent to BVU. Even if you are currently unsure if you will attend, completing this free application will help determine your financial need.
BVU's institution code: 001847
Grants are funds that do not have to be repaid. Click on a grant below to see more information.
The Teacher Education Assistance for College and Higher Education (TEACH) Grant Program provides up to $4,000 per year in grants for graduate and undergraduate students who intend to teach full-time in high-need subject areas for at least four years at schools that serve students from low-income families. Students must meet all eligibility requirements.
Phi Theta Kappa Scholarships
Phi Theta Kappa transfer scholarships are also available for those who qualify.
Loans are made to students at low interest rates and must be repaid, but generally payments are not due until the student has completed his or her education or ceases at least half-time enrollment.
Tuition Reimbursements are available through many area employers. Many companies will pay part or all of an employee's educational costs. Check with your company's benefits representative to see if you qualify. All tuition reimbursement benefits must be reported to the Office of Financial Assistance.
G.I. Bill and Yellow Ribbon Program.
All programs are approved for the G.I. Bill and Yellow Ribbon Program.
Have more questions?
In addition to the above information, our staff is happy to answer any questions you have about applying for financial aid. If you are in need of financial assistance, such as college scholarships in Iowa or scholarships for adults returning to college, please contact us at 712.749.1000 to receive more information about how affordable our programs can be.
Technology Requirements for Online Courses
- Operating System: Windows Vista, 7 or 8. Or Macintosh OS X with RAM at or above OS recommendations
- Processor: A PC with a Pentium IV or newer, or a Macintosh with a G3 or newer
- Internet Connection: DSL or cable modem (high speed internet) Dial-up will not be sufficient.
- Browser: Internet Explorer 7+, Mozilla Firefox 3+, Safari, Chrome.
- Software: A current installation of Java (Java.com). Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint are required, (Microsoft Office XP, 2003, 2007, 2010 on Windows or Microsoft Office 2001, 2004, 2008, or 2011 for the Macintosh). Newer versions are recommended (Microsoft Office 2007, 2010 on Windows or Microsoft Office 2008, or 2011 for the Macintosh).