English with Teaching Licensure (5-12)
Major | 40 credit hours

Credits shown here reflect the number required to graduate for the given major. Your actual number of required credits may be higher or lower depending on your previous college experience. The actual number of credits you will need to graduate from BVU will be determined by a free official transcript evaluation.

  • Council Bluffs
  • Emmetsburg
  • Estherville
  • Fort Dodge
  • Marshalltown
  • Mason City
  • Ottumwa
  • Spencer
  • Spirit Lake
  • West Burlington
  • Through a program of study that includes world literatures, writing in various genres, linguistic theory and development, and critical perspectives, you'll develop a keen sense of the power of language and learn to deploy that power to benefit you and your community.

    As an English major seeking 5-12 teacher certification, you can look forward to gaining: 
    • A mastery of written communication which is fundamental to professional success, self-expression, and personal growth.
    • Extensive and varied field experience opportunities and the knowledge and skills needed to be a high quality educator.
    • Certification to teach grades 5-12 from the State of Iowa.


    English with Teaching Licensure (5-12) Courses

    • ENGL 220 Introduction to Literature: Early Literary Classics
    • ENGL 250 American Literature
    • ENGL 261 British Literature, Beginnings to 1750
    • ENGL 262 British Literature, 1750 to Present
    • ENGL 300 Advanced Composition
    • ENGL 331 Introduction to Linguistics
    • ENGL 332 Modern English Grammar
    • ENGL 340 Introduction to Literary Theory
    • ENGL 350 Shakespeare
    • ENGL 490 Major Portfolio
    • ENGL 491 Senior Seminar or elective above ENGL 400
    • 1 elective ENGL 400 or above

    Secondary Education Licensure

    Secondary education licensure requires a content major in a certifiable teaching area and completion of the following six components:

    • Intellectual Explorations, Intellectual Foundations, and university graduation requirements 
    • The education core
    • Secondary education support work
    • SEDU 365 Methods of Reading in the Content Areas
    • The secondary methods course(s) in your chosen discipline including the field experience 
    • Student teaching in your chosen discipline 

    Education Core

    • EDCO 240 Development of the School-Age Child
    • EDCO 245 Learning and Motivation
    • EDCO 255/256 Professional Seminar I & Field Experience: Learning and Motivation
    • EDCO 280 History of American Education
    • EDCO 290/291 Professional Seminar II and Field Experience: Human Relations
    • EDCO 300 Differentiated Instruction for Exceptional Learners
    • EDCO 390 Instructional Technology
    • EDCO 401 Classroom Management and Evaluation Techniques (secondary education only)

    English with Teaching Licensure (5-12) Support Work

    • SEDU 333 Young Adult Fiction and Nonfiction
    • SEDU 454 Reading Strategies and Instructional Methods

    Secondary Education Reading Strategies

    • SEDU 365 Methods of Reading in the Content Areas

    Secondary Education Methods Courses

    Students must take the methods course related to their major. In addition, if one desires to add another secondary teaching endorsement, the methods course for that endorsement must be taken. Most secondary methods courses are offered every other year.

    • SEDU 402 Methods of Teaching Secondary Business and Field Experience
    • SEDU 411 Methods of Teaching Secondary English Language Arts and Field Experience
    • SEDU 441 Methods of Teaching Secondary Social Science and Field Experience

    Secondary Education Student Teaching

    • SEDU 490 Professional Seminar III: Secondary Student Teaching

    Tuition & Fees

    Undergrad Tuition

    2015-16 Tuition:
    $402 per credit hour
    2016-17 Tuition:
    $413 per credit hour

    How to Apply

    Admissions Requirements

    Programs within BVU Graduate & Professional Studies are classified as junior-senior level. Persons who have completed an associate degree or 60 credit hours from a regionally accredited institution qualify for admission. College level examination program credits (CLEP) and life experience credit may be available as described in the academic section. 

    Application Process

    1. Although personal interviews are not required, applicants are urged to confer with an advisor.
    2. Request that official transcript(s) from each college or university previously attended be sent to the BVU Graduate & Professional Studies site office. Without official transcripts and records, a student will not be allowed to register beyond the initial semester.
    3. Complete the BVU Graduate & Professional Studies application form
    4. If you will be applying for financial assistance including student loans, complete the Free Application for Federal Financial Student Aid (FAFSA) at www.fafsa.gov.
    5. Students who have previously earned a B.A. or B.S. degree may be eligible to earn a second bachelor’s degree from Buena Vista University. Guidelines are available from the BVU Graduate & Professional Studies office.

    Financial Aid

    Financial Assistance is available to qualified students at our traditional campus and to students taking undergraduate and graduate coursework at our Graduate & Professional Studies locations. All students are encouraged to fill out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid at www.fafsa.ed.gov. The FAFSA is processed by the U.S. Department of Education. You may request to have your FAFSA results sent to BVU. Even if you are currently unsure if you will attend, completing this free application will help determine your financial need.

    BVU's institution code: 001847


    Grants are funds that do not have to be repaid. Click on a grant below to see more information.

    Federal Pell Grants vary based on financial need. Individual awards are determined based on federal formula. Payment is calculated for full-time enrollment (12 or more hours per semester), three-quarter-time enrollment (9-11 hours per semester), or half-time enrollment (6-8 hours per semester). Students enrolled less than half-time may also be eligible. To be considered for a Federal Pell Grant, the results of your valid aid applications (FASFA) must be received while your are still enrolled. Students enrolled in summer courses may be entitled to Federal Pell Grant funds for that enrollment. Students with prior baccalaureate degrees are not eligible. There is a 6 year limit on funding per individual. Learn more about Federal Pell Grants.

    TEACH Grant

    The Teacher Education Assistance for College and Higher Education (TEACH) Grant Program provides up to $4,000 per year in grants for graduate and undergraduate students who intend to teach full-time in high-need subject areas for at least four years at schools that serve students from low-income families. Students must meet all eligibility requirements.

    Iowa Tuition Grants (ITG) are available to eligible residents of Iowa attending private institutions. Iowa Tuition Grants are available, based on financial need, for full-time undergraduate study and for less than full-time enrollment. The grant may be renewable for a total of eight full-time semesters of study and may be used for tuition only. Application deadline is normally July 1. Learn more about Iowa Tuition Grants.
    Available to many students through Vocational Rehabilitation, Social Services, Commission for the Blind, Bureau of Indian Affairs, and other programs. For more information, contact the agency counselors directly.


    Phi Theta Kappa Scholarships

    Phi Theta Kappa transfer scholarships are also available for those who qualify.


    Loans are made to students at low interest rates and must be repaid, but generally payments are not due until the student has completed his or her education or ceases at least half-time enrollment.

    Tuition Reimbursements

    Tuition Reimbursements are available through many area employers. Many companies will pay part or all of an employee's educational costs. Check with your company's benefits representative to see if you qualify. All tuition reimbursement benefits must be reported to the Office of Financial Assistance.

    G.I. Bill and Yellow Ribbon Program.

    All programs are approved for the G.I. Bill and Yellow Ribbon Program.

    Have more questions?

    In addition to the above information, our staff is happy to answer any questions you have about applying for financial aid. If you are in need of financial assistance, such as college scholarships in Iowa or scholarships for adults returning to college, please contact us at 712.749.1000 to receive more information about how affordable our programs can be.

    Contact Us

    Phone: 712.749.1000
    Fax: 712.749.1470
    E-mail: professional@bvu.edu

    Buena Vista University
    Graduate & Professional Studies
    610 W. Fourth Street
    Storm Lake, IA 50588