Viewing the Calendar
Meetings and appointments are created and edited using the calendar in Outlook. The calendar is viewed by clicking on Calendar in the lower left-hand corner of the Outlook window.
Once in the Calendar, the ribbon at the top of the window will display options to change the view of the Calendar, as well as create new meetings and appointments.
The Calendar may be viewed by “Day,” “Work Week” (Mon-Fri), “Week” (Sun-Sat), or “Month.” Simply click the ribbon button corresponding to the display method you prefer.
Creating a New Meeting or Appointment
There are multiple ways to create a new meeting or appointment.
- Click the New Meeting or New Appointment buttons on the Home ribbon.
- Click the New Items button on the Home ribbon and select the item from the list of options. This is a handy tool if you would like to create a new email while viewing the calendar, or if you would like to create a new meeting or appointment while viewing Mail.
- Right-click on a specific day and select New Meeting Request or New Appointment.
The main difference between an appointment and a meeting is that an appointment is only for your calendar and a meeting is between other users and yourself, which will require inviting others to attend. An appointment can be converted into a meeting by clicking the Invite Attendees button.
Tips for Making a New Meeting
- Enter names of invitees in the To field.
- Include a subject in the Subject field since this is what is displayed on the calendar.
- Don’t forget to give a Location!
- Select the time of the meeting by manually entering the times in the Start time and End time fields. If it is an all-day event, simply check the All day event checkbox.
- Use the Scheduling Assistant! This feature can show you the schedules of all of your invitees and can save a big headache down the road.
- Set the Show As box. By default the status is set to “Busy” for a normal meeting and “Free” for an all-day meeting.
- Use Check Names to ensure you are sending invitations to the right people.
- If you’d like to set a recurring meeting, us the Recurrence button.
- When you’re finished setting up your meeting, click the Send button. If you’re creating an appointment, click Save & Close.
Managing Meetings and Appointments
A handy tool on the Calendar is the Categories feature, which color-codes events on your Calendar. By clicking on Categories on the Appointment ribbon, you can create new categories or edit existing categories.
Meetings and appointments, which you have created, may be edited by:
- Double-clicking on the event to open and edit;
- Dragging the event to a new day to change the event date;
- Right-clicking on the event and selecting an option from the list; or
- Clicking on an event and pressing the “delete” key on your keyboard.
Attachments can be sent with meeting requests. Simply drag the file you would like to attach into the message area.
If you would like to save an attachment from an event, right-click on the attached file and select Save as.
If you want to delete an event from your calendar, select the meeting or appointment by clicking it once, then press the Delete key on your keyboard. An event may also be deleted by right-clicking on it and selecting Delete from the displayed options.
For help using Outlook, please contact the TLTC at firstname.lastname@example.org, 712-749-2359, or 1-800-803-6583. The TLTC is available from 8 AM to 5 PM, Monday through Friday.
Please note that you can also contact 2Fix for any additional questions. You can contact 2Fix at email@example.com, 1.712.249.2FIX (2349), or 1.800.248.4462. 2Fix is available from 7 AM to 11PM, Monday through Friday and 3 PM to 11PM on the weekend.
There are hundreds of short, video tutorials to help you learn Outlook and other programs.
- Log in to ANGEL with your BVU username and password.
- Click Go to Atomic Learning on the right.
- Use the Applications, Versions, and/or Platforms drop-down menus to find video tutorials for Outlook 2010.