Navigation and Appearance
Navigating through Microsoft Outlook
Once you open Outlook, you will see the main window. Its components consist of:
- Navigation Pane on the Left
From the navigation pane you can access all of your email in your Inbox and in folders in your Cabinet. You can also access your Mail, Calendar, Contacts, and Tasks using the links in the bottom-left corner.
- Toolbar Across the Top
The Toolbar will allow you to have access to certain tools independent of which tab or ribbon you are in. You can add or remove tools by right clicking (control + left-click) on the toolbar.
- List of Messages in the Middle
There is a condensed list of messages showing the subject line, sender, and date the message was sent.
- Reading Pane on the Right
The reading pane shows the full details of any message you have selected in the list of messages. Any message highlighted in your message list will appear in the reading pane. To remove the reading pane:
- Go to the Organize tab.
- Click the Reading Pane drop-down menu and select Hidden.
Altering the Appearance of the Inbox
By default, your Outlook mailbox will appear in the order the messages were received with the most recent on top. You will also notice that messages are grouped together under headings such as “Today,” “Yesterday,” etc. To alter the order of your messages follow the steps below.
Altering the Arrangement of your Email List
- Go to the Organize tab.
- Click on Arrange By.
- In the drop-down menu, choose any option you wish to organize by. Date, to, from, size, etc.
- You can also see the option Show in Groups. This option groups your emails under categories such as “Today”, “Yesterday”, etc. If you wish to turn this feature off, simply uncheck Show in Groups.
Turning On/Off Conversations
The Conversation view is helpful for grouping together multiple related emails into one “conversation.” By default Conversations will be turned on. To turn Conversations off:
- Under the Organize tab, click Conversations.
- Click again on Conversations to turn them back on.
For help using Outlook, please contact the TLTC at email@example.com, 712-749-2359, or 1-800-803-6583. The TLTC is available from 8 AM to 5 PM, Monday through Friday.
Please note that you can also contact 2Fix for any additional questions. You can contact 2Fix at firstname.lastname@example.org, 1.712.249.2FIX (2349), or 1.800.248.4462. 2Fix is available from 7 AM to 11PM, Monday through Friday and 3 PM to 11PM on the weekend.
There are hundreds of short, video tutorials to help you learn Outlook and other programs.
- Log in to ANGEL with your BVU username and password.
- Click Go to Atomic Learning on the right.
- Use the Applications, Versions, and/or Platforms drop-down menus to find video tutorials for Outlook 2010.