Student Deadline: Tue, Feb. 2, 2016
The Harry S. Truman Scholarship Foundation - the federal memorial to our thirty-third President - awards merit-based scholarships to college students who plan to pursue careers in government or elsewhere in public service. Truman Scholars receive up to $30,000 for graduate or professional school, participate in leadership development activities, and have special opportunities for internships and employment with the federal government
Candidates must be nominated by their current institution of higher education or by their two-year institution if they are transfer students from community colleges or junior colleges. Applications are not accepted directly from candidates. Each nominee must be:
• Full-time junior-level student at a four-year institution pursuing a bachelor's degree. 'Junior' here means a student who plans to continue full-time undergraduate study and who expects to receive a baccalaureate degree between December and August of the next academic year, or a student in his or her third year of collegiate study, or a senior-level student who is a resident of Puerto Rico or the Islands as defined below;
• Nominated by the Truman Scholarship Faculty Representative at his or her institution;
• In the upper quarter of his or her class; and
• United States citizen or a United States national from American Samoa or the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands. Resident aliens (green card holders) are not eligible.
A good candidate for the Truman Scholarship meets the above eligibility requirements and also:
• Has an extensive record of public and community service;
• Has outstanding leadership potential and communication skills; and
• Is committed to a career in government or elsewhere in public service, as defined by the Foundation.
Up to $30,000 may be used only for tuition, fees, books, room and board, or other specifically approved expenses.
Deadline & Important Dates
Please review these dates before applying. These dates are firm; the Foundation will not accommodate requests for changes to these dates.
- Truman Application Deadline: February 2, 2016
- Finalist Confirmation Due: February 25, 2016
- Finalist Posting: February 26, 2016
- Regional Review Panels: February 29, 2016 through April 15, 2016
- Scholar Posting: April 22, 2016
- Truman Scholars Leadership Week: May 24-29, 2016