Student Deadline: Tue, Jan. 28, 2014
Faculty Deadline: Mon, Feb. 3, 2014
The Barry M. Goldwater Scholarship Program was created to encourage outstanding students to pursue careers in mathematics, the natural sciences, or engineering and to foster excellence in those fields.
- Demonstrated potential for and commitment to a career in mathematics, the natural sciences, or engineering.
- Outstanding academic performance
To be considered for nomination as a Goldwater Scholar, student must:
- Be a full-time matriculated sophomore or junior pursuing a degree at an accredited institution of higher education during the 2010–2011 academic year. "Sophomore" is defined as a student who plans two more years of full-time undergraduate study beginning September 2011. Sophomore nominees can expect to receive a maximum of two years of support. Students in two-year colleges who plan to transfer to a baccalaureate program at another institution may be nominated. "Junior" is defined as a student who plans one more year of full-time undergraduate study beginning September 2011. Junior nominees can expect to receive a maximum of one year of support.
- Have a college grade-point average of at least "B" (or the equivalent) and be in the upper fourth of his or her class.
- Be a United States citizen, a permanent resident, or, in the case of nominees from American Samoa or the Commonwealth of the Mariana Islands, a United States national. Nominations from permanent residents must include a letter of the nominee's intent to obtain U.S. citizenship and a photocopy of the Permanent Resident Card (formerly known as the Alien Registration Card).
Each scholarship covers eligible expenses for undergraduate tuition, fees, books, and room and board, up to a maximum of $7,500 annually.
- Goldwater Scholarship online application and materials due January 28, 2014, 5:00 p.m. central time. Nominations not electronically submitted online by 5:00 p.m. central time on January 28, 2014 will not be considered.
- Institutions must mail all supporting documents to the Iowa City address by the receipt deadline of February 3, 2014. Customer support will only be available from 8:30 a.m.–5:00 p.m. central time, Monday–Friday.