Phishing attacks are attempts to gain personal information from targets using e-mail messages disguised as typical correspondence (like friendly messages, alerts to update passwords, and warnings about locked accounts.) Targeted information can include user account and password combinations or credit card information.
It is important that every member of Buena Vista University—faculty, staff, and students—do their best to protect themselves and their community against this sort of attack.
Please remember that the ITS department will not send out emails to validate accounts, verify usernames and passwords, or any related activities that could put your credentials at risk. We will also not include a link to external websites. Any valid email from BVU or 2FIX will be signed by the ITS department with the signature of at least one ITS staff member attached to the email.
- Phishing emails often have a sense of urgency. For example, they might state that you need to verify your account immediately to retain access to your email or click the link now for urgent information.
- Phishing emails may also be vague. They may refer to casual greetings or meetings that you don’t remember.
- English grammar is often poor in these messages. They may contain excessive exclamation points as well.
- They will include links that don’t contain our domain (bvu.edu) or any products we use (like sharepoint.com). You can check to see where included links are going by hovering over the link, but not clicking on it.
- They may also include file attachments or try to share files with you. If you aren’t expecting a document or don’t know who the sender is, do not open the file.
- If you feel uneasy, contact the sender or 2FIX via phone. It's best to confirm with the sender that what they have sent is what they intended.
If you happen to complete one of these phishing attempts, please change your password immediately for all active accounts involved. You can do this remotely at password.bvu.edu.
You can also contact 2FIX at 712.749.2349 or firstname.lastname@example.org for additional help.