Paying for college can feel like a huge obstacle for most students who are considering a college education. Fortunately, there are people ready to help with the daunting task of applying for financial aid.
On Feb. 22, Buena Vista University will host an event on campus to help area families, including current students, in completing the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) for the 2012-2013 school year. The event is set for 5-7:30 p.m. in Harold Walter Siebens Forum ICN 7B.
Not only will you receive help filling out the FAFSA, you will also get advice from financial aid experts, learn about scholarship opportunities and be advised on the full financial aid process.
The evening session is part of College Goal Sunday Week. Many other colleges in Iowa will be hosting similar events during that week.
Prior to the event, each student and one parent should obtain a federal personal identification number (PIN) at www.pin.ed.gov. Volunteers can help you with this at the event but it will go much faster if you do this step ahead of time.
In addition, please gather each of the following documents as they pertain to each student and parent to bring to the session:
- Social Security number, driver’s license number and date of birth.
- 2011 federal and state tax returns (or 2010 if you haven’t filed yet).
- W-2 forms and/or other records of income earned in 2011 (or your last pay stub from 2011 if you haven’t filed yet).
- Current bank statements and investment records.
- Records of untaxed income received in 2011 (e.g., veterans benefits, child support received, etc.).
- 2011 business and farm records.
- Alien registration number, if not a U.S. citizen.
For more information, contact the BVU Office of Financial Assistance at 800.383.2821.