Some of the SHOWOFF contestants with Phil McLean, emcee and a 2008 graduate of BVU, from left Michael Price, Waterloo; Mary Rose Timko, Storm Lake; Chase Harrison, Ankeny; Susie Haack, Le Mars; McLean; Kaity Brake, Rembrandt; Jenna Reeves, Delaware.
The Buena Vista University digital media program announced the winners of its first annual SHOWOFF Digital Media Festival which gave high school students from Iowa and the multi-state region an opportunity to display their creativity and win a $2,000 scholarship to BVU.
Twenty students from 15 high schools participated in the contest. Students who submitted the winning entries and will each receive a $2,000 BVU scholarship were:
Digital Media Master: Wyatt Oliver, St. Charles, senior at Interstate 35 High School — “The Nametag” (See the creative work at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8z29tMxo8vg)
Original video: Nick Petersen, St. Charles, senior at Interstate 35 High School — “Thunderswords”
Original Audio: Chase Harrison, Ankeny, senior at Ankeny High School — “Leaves”
Static Photography: Kaity Brake, Rembrandt, junior at Alta-Aurelia High School — “Reflections in the Mirror” (http://flic.kr/p/dk3s8r)
Slideshow Photography: Jenna Reeves, Delaware, senior at Maquoketa High School — “Pieces of Me” (http://www.flickr.com/photos/jenna_elizabeth32/sets/72157631899494693/with/8143448822/)
High school students from the region attended the Nov. 30 event, which included workshops, campus tours, and a showcase of the entries at the BVU Art Gallery.
The idea for SHOWOFF was conceived by a group of four students in the Integrated Media Campaigns class taught last spring by Jerry Johnson, assistant professor of digital media. This fall, students in the Media Project capstone course taught by Dr. Bruce Ellingson, professor of digital media, implemented the event.
Students in the capstone course are:
- Grace Bodey, junior digital media and graphic design/visual communication double major from Belvidere, Ill.;
- Kylie Swanson, senior English and media studies double major from Coin
- Miranda Klingenberg, senior media studies major from Armstrong;
- David Ekstrom, senior digital media major from Odebolt;
- Paige Miller, junior digital media/graphics design major from Sheridan, Wyo.
- April Allen, senior digital media and history double major from Sioux City;
- Tyler McDanel, senior digital media major from Storm Lake.
- Clair Lynn, senior media studies major from Farragut;
- Catherine Rubino, senior digital media major from Story City