Consumer Information

Online, Site, and Graduate Programs


Buena Vista University is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission (since 1927), 230 South LaSalle Street, Suite 7-500, Chicago, IL 60604, 312.263.0456, Special accreditations for specific undergraduate programs include Athletic Training: Commission on Accreditation of Athletic Training Education (CAATE,; Education: conditional accreditation from the Iowa Department of Education; (additional information regarding the status of our teacher education programs can be found on the federal Title 2 website); and Social Work: Council on Social Work Education (CSWE, Additionally, our Mental Health Counseling graduate program is currently seeking special accreditation from the Council for Accreditation of Counseling & Related Educational Programs (CACREP

Buena Vista University holds membership in Iowa College Foundation; Iowa Association of Independent Colleges & Universities Campus Compact; Iowa Campus Compact; Association of Governing Boards (AGB); Association of American Colleges & Universities; The Council for Adult & Experiential Learning (CAEL); Council for Higher Education Accreditation; Association of Presbyterian Colleges & Universities; Council for Advancement and Support of Education (CASE); Iowa Intercollegiate Athletic Conference; National Collegiate Athletic Association; and American Association of University Women.

This link provides students with contact information for filing a complaint with any state in which a student resides while attending BVU.  Additional information is available through the Office of Academic Affairs or in the specific information for majors that require additional approval or licensure, as found in the BVU Catalog.

Consumer Information on College Navigator Website

The Department of Education is required to post 26 items for each institution on this website.

Read more about Consumer Information on College Navigator Website...

Copyright Policies

Summary of Civil and Criminal Penalties for Violation of Federal Copyright Laws

Copyright infringement is the act of exercising, without permission or legal authority, one or more of the exclusive rights granted to the copyright owner under section 106 of the Copyright Act (Title 17 of the United States Code). These rights include the right to reproduce or distribute a copyrighted work. In the file-sharing context, downloading or uploading substantial parts of a copyrighted work without authority constitutes an infringement. Penalties for copyright infringement include civil and criminal penalties. In general, anyone found liable for civil copyright infringement may be ordered to pay either actual damages or “statutory” damages affixed at not less than $750 and not more than $30,000 per work infringed. For “willful” infringement, a court may award up to $150,000 per work infringed. A court can, in its discretion, also assess costs and attorneys’ fees. For details, see Title 17, United States Code, Sections 504, 505. Willful copyright infringement can also result in criminal penalties, including imprisonment of up to five years and fines of up to $250,000 per offense. For more information, please see the website of the U.S. Copyright Office at

Read more about Copyright Policies...

For additional information, please contact the Associate Dean of Faculty.


Costs for tuition, fees and room and board and an estimate of other related expenses.

Read more about Costs...

For additional information, please contact the Business Office.


Current Degree and Educational Training Programs offered. Contact the Office of Academic Affairs or the Registrar's Office for more information.

Read more about Degrees...


Physical facilities that relate to academic programs at BVU.

Read more about Facilities...

Facilities and Services available to students with disabilities (Storm Lake campus)

Nearly all buildings on the Buena Vista University campus are handicapped accessible. Students seeking assistance regarding accessibility should contact the following individuals:

  • For assistance with the academic program, including accessibility of courses, laboratories, or academic materials, students should contact the the director of the Center of Academic Excellence, 712.749.1237.
  • For assistance with the co-curricular program, such as residence halls, food service, student activities, or other programs, students should contact the dean of students in the Harold Walter Siebens School of Business/Siebens Forum, 712.749.2123.

Facilities and Services available to students with disabilities (Online, Site, and Graduate Programs)

Nearly all buildings are handicapped accessible. Students seeking assistance regarding handicapped accessibility should contact their BVU site director.


Faculty and instructional personnel.

Read more about Faculty...

For additional information, please contact the Office of the Vice President for Academic Affairs.


Student's rights under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) policy.

For additional information, please contact the Registrar's Office.

Safeguarding Confidential Electronic Information Policy

This Buena Vista University Information Technology Services (IT) Policies and Security Manual includes policies, standards, procedures and guidelines to ensure the integrity of BVU IT systems and reflect responsible stewardship of BVU IT resources.

Read more about Safeguarding Confidential Electronic Information Policy...

Student Body Diversity

Review statistics for enrollment by gender, race/ethnicity and financial need.

Read more about Student Body Diversity...

For additional information, please contact the Director of Institutional Research.

Textbook Information

Please refer to the BVU Registrar site to find information pertaining to required text books, by course, their costs and ISBNs.

Please refer to the Book Voucher Policy to determine if you are able to use a credit balance to purchase books before the start of a term/semester.

Transfer of Credit - Undergraduate

This information will detail the policy for acceptance of course work taken elsewhere. For information on transfer of credit for any of our graduate programs, please see the corresponding area of the BVU Catalog. In addition, information is also available on BVU's articulation agreements.

Read more about Transfer of Credit - Undergraduate...

Financial Aid Information

Code Of Conduct for Educational Loans

Iowa Code Section 261F.2 and Title 34 of the Code of Federal Regulations, Section 601.21, require the development, administration, and enforcement of a code of conduct governing educational loan activities.

Financial Aid Related Information for Online, Site, and Graduate Programs

These links will provide you with information pertaining to:

  • The process of applying for financial assistance and how eligibility is determined.
  • Need-based and non-need based state, institutional, and private/local assistance programs.
  • Need based and non-need based federal financial assistance, including application procedures, general eligibility guidelines, and award amounts.
  • The terms and conditions of any federal loans, including a sample repayment schedule.
  • The rights and responsibilities of students receiving financial assistance.
  • Information regarding the availability of federal student aid for study abroad opportunities.

Financial Assistance Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy

This policy addresses the criteria for remaining in good academic standing academically at BVU. Good academic standing is necessary to continue to be eligible for federal, state and institutional financial assistance.

View the policy by location/program

  • For additional information, please contact the Office of Financial Assistance.
  • Preferred Lender Arrangements

    Schools that participate in preferred lender arrangement must disclose detailed information about the terms and conditions of the loans offered, why the school chose the particular lender and the method used to select the lenders.  Other required information can also be found on the link provided.

    A paper copy of the BVU Annual Report on Preferred Lender Arrangements may be requested from the Office of Financial Assistance.

    Return of Title IV Funds Policy

    Students who withdraw from the university may be entitled to a refund of charges and financial assistance.

    Verification Policy

    This policy addresses the process and timeline for submitting documents required when a student is selected for verification.

    Withdrawal Process and Institutional Charges Policy - Online, Site, and Graduate Programs

    This policy will detail the correct procedure to follow if you find the need to withdraw during a term.